After all kinds of teases and some misdirection, Blizzard has revealed the next Overwatch hero as Orisa, an upgrade of the OR15 defense bots created by child genius Efi Oladele.
Orisa is a new generation of Omnic defense bot that Efi rebuilt and reprogrammed, enhancing the AI to give her new creation "a heart." There are scenes of Orisa learning her new role in protecting society, and she ends the trailer saying that keeping us safe is her "primary function."
Orisa will be the 24th hero added to the game "soon," Blizzard said in the reveal. She has already been added to the Overwatch Public Test Realm. She is a tank with the following abilities:
- Fusion Driver: A rapid-fire automatic gun with good range and accuracy even at a distance, although Orisa’s movement slows down while she fires.
- Halt!: Alt-fire that launches a graviton charge across the map, slowing nearby enemies as it passes, then pulling them toward it when it detonates.
- Fortify: boosts her personal defense, reducing damage taken and making her unstoppable for a short time.
- Protection Barrier: A device that creates a curved, stationary field perfect for intercepting projectiles and shielding teammates.
- Supercharger: This ultimate ability beams a buff to allies within its range, increasing the damage they can inflict on the opposing team.
The company has been keeping fans guessing on who the new hero would be, first with an interview with Efi, then with game director Jeff Kaplan clarifying the Efi would be a huge part of the origin story for the new hero. Blizzard also tweeted about an attack at the Numbani airport that destroyed numerous OR15 defense robots, and then to a to-do list of things Efi needed for her project.
Kaplan had earlier put the kibosh on speculation that Doomfist was the next hero, It is likely that Orisa was introduced first, because Efi said that she was "the hero we need." She confirmed that the pummeling that the OR15s took at the airport was Doomfist's work, Orisa is being set up as a counter to Doomfist. We know Blizzard works on several heroes at one time, so as with the Sombra misdirection before Ana's release, Doomfist will probably be coming in the near future.
John Keefer posted a new article, Overwatch's Next Hero is Orisa, an Omnic With a Heart
Really looking forward to playing her, Ana and Sombra weren't my cup of tea. Though Doomfist must be next and I'm really hoping for a melee offense character.
Omg quadruped player model. Those are often not animated very well, so this should be a good example of how to do it right.