Day 6 of Awesome Games Done Quick has begun and the week of speed runs is nearly over. That means we're getting into some of the usual speed running suspects, as today we jump into Mega Man, Mario, and The Legend of Zelda. As always, this is being done for charity, with the event organizers raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Let's take a look at some of today's runs worth watching.
Day 6 Runs to Watch
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super NES) - 7:23AM PT
Turtles in Time is one of the most beloved of all of the Ninja Turtles games, but as a vintage beat 'em up, that also made it one of the most difficult. There were about a dozen levels and they only got tougher as they went along. So best of luck to sinister1 (who already dazzled the AGDQ audience, as we'll discuss shortly), who will attempt to complete a two-player run solo in under 25 minutes.
Mega Man 9 (Xbox 360/PlayStation 3) - 3:33PM PT
Retro Mega Man came back in a big way when Mega Man 9 debuted for previous-generation consoles, bringing back the old aesthetic and everything. And it also added Proto Man as a playable character for the first time. So watch as slurpeeninja and TheBlacktastic attempt to race one another, each controlling Proto Man and using his unique mechanics to get through the tough-as-nails MM9 level design. The target time is 34 minutes.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (Nintendo GameCube) - 6:33PM PT
Ah, Master Quest! This was a very special GameCube compilation that went out to those that pre-ordered Wind Waker (now that was a pre-order incentive, eh?) and it truly tested all Zelda veterans. The dungeon designs were downright devious and had users utilize Link's arsenal in more creative ways. So how will ZFG fare when he attempts to complete this game in under 1:55:00? Find out tonight!
Day 5 Highlight
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Well, this certainly turned out to be a must-see event. A blindfold race was something unlike anyone at these events had seen and sinister1 and zallard1 definitely didn't disappoint. This race was a back-and-forth struggle, with each competitor holding leads at various points. They weren't perfect runs, either, as their handicap inevitably led to KOs, upping the suspense factor that much more. It was down to the wire, right up until both racers reached Mike Tyson. The final moments were among the most memorable at a Games Done Quick event, so grab some popcorn and witness the whole thing here.
Today's Full Schedule (All times in PT)
- 7:23AM - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (sinister1 - 0:25:00, Any% Hard Mode, 1-player/2 controllers)
- 7:53AM - Diablo (Funkmastermp - 0:25:00, Any% Single Segment)
- 8:28AM - Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (MrLlamaSC - 1:45:00, D2:LOD Sorceress Any% Normal)
- 10:33AM - Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (Gunnermaniac3 - 2:15:00, Any% Glitchless)
- 1:48PM - Buster (bjw - 0:15:00, Any% or Best Ending)
- 2:08PM - Rockman 4 BCAS (Garrison_tt, Golden - 0:30:00, Any%)
- 2:48PM - Mega Man 10 (slurpeeninja - 0:36:00, Any% Bass Normal)
- 3:33PM - Mega Man 9 (slurpeeninja, TheBlacktastic - 0:34:00, Any% Protoman)
- 4:18PM - Mega Man 6 (ohon - 0:40:00, Any%)
- 5:03PM - Mega Man 2 (duckfist - 0:35:00, Any% Normal)
- 5:43PM - Super Mario Bros. (GreenDeathFlavor, Lackattack24, darbian - 0:08:00, Any%)
- 6:08PM - Super Mario Bros. 2 (GreenDeathFlavor, whiteman_price_, Svenne - 0:15:00, Any%)
- 6:33PM - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (ZFG - 1:55:00, All Dungeons)
- 8:43PM - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (MajinPhil, fullgrowngaming, thiefbug, Trevperson - 5:35:00, 4p co-op 100%)
The Stream and Donation Links
And once again, anyone looking to contribute to the Prevent Cancer Foundation can do so from the Prevent Cancer Foundation website.