Day 5 of Awesome Games Done Quick has begun. Some of the world's best speed runners are right in the middle of some of the most popular, obscure, and beloved games. If you made it this far, congratulations! You survived the seemingly-neverending Awful Games Done Quick block! Today centers around a few modern classics, which includes some of the latter entries into the Mega Man mythos. As always, this is being done for charity, with the event organizers raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Let's take a look at some of today's runs worth watching.
Day 5 Runs to Watch
Castlevania (NES) - 7:43AM PT
The Castlevania block is always fun to watch and it's especially remarkable to watch speed runners plow right through Simon Belmont's toughest adventures. The first game will definitely be the one to watch, since it'll see kmac attempting to complete the game with the whip only. The target time is 20 minutes, so tune in for a quick morning run.
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES) - 11:23AM PT
Punch-Out!! speed runs are amazing to watch in themselves, but now imagine trying to get through the full game blindfolded! sinister1 and zallard1 will attempt to get through this game on just reflexes and memorization. The target time is 45 minutes, so tune in and see just how much they've memorized Iron Mike's punching patterns.
Shadow Complex (Xbox 360) - 8:28PM PT
Shadow Complex made headlines with its remaster, which was recently released on PC and is on its way to next-gen consoles. Now watch as Greenalink attempts to complete the game in under 20 minutes. He won't make it easy on himself, either. He'll be attempting this on New Game+ on Insane difficulty.
Day 4 Highlight
Super Mario Maker
There's really nothing else that should go in this slot. This was an incredible viewing experience and something that felt truly unique to this event. The idea was that two teams of four runners would attempt a blind run on stages built specifically for this event. Dedicated to Kotaku's Patrick Klepek, these levels were dubbed the Klepocalypse and they were immensely fun to watch, with the right mixture of precision, puzzles, and clever design. The truly creative element came in when each member of the team would rotate in for every death. It all flowed wonderfully and led to one of the most memorable game runs in a long time. Check out the full run here.
Today's Full Schedule (All times in PT)
- 6:13AM - Grand Theft Auto III (Mhmd_FVC - 1:20:00, Any%)
- 7:43AM - Castlevania (kmac - 0:20:00, Any% Whip Only)
- 8:13AM - Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (ohon, longravirei - 0:35:00, Alucard)
- 8:58AM - Super Castlevania IV (Just_defend - 0:40:00, Any% Hard Mode)
- 9:48AM - Castlevania: Bloodlines (Klaige - 0:45:00, Any% Expert, Eric Lecarde)
- 11:23AM - Super Punch-Out!! (zallard1 - 0:25:00, Any%)
- 11:53AM - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (sinister1, zallard1 - 0:45:00, Blindfolded)
- 12:43PM - Mirror's Edge (SasukeAnimator - 0:50:00, Any%)
- 1:48PM - StepMania (Stalain - 0:25:00, Showcase)
- 2:23PM - Mega Man X (Domalix, Tiki - 0:40:00, 100%)
- 3:18PM - Mega Man Zero (Flameberger - 0:39:00, All Missions)
- 4:08PM - Mega Man ZX (Tiki - 1:01:00, Any% Normal)
- 5:18PM - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Ajarmar, Greenalink - 1:15:00, Any% Speedrun Mode/All Stages)
- 6:43PM - Halo 4 (Proacejoker - 1:40:00, Legendary)
- 8:28PM - Shadow Complex (Greenalink - 0:20:00, Any% NG+ Insane)
- 8:53PM - Paper Mario (GigaDB - 3:15:00, All Cards)
The Stream and Donation Links
And once again, anyone looking to contribute to the Prevent Cancer Foundation can do so from the Prevent Cancer Foundation website.