Day 2 of Awesome Games Done Quick is underway, with some of the world's best speed runners taking a look at some of the best in the gaming world. For those just waking up to go back to work or school, Shacknews is here to take a look at some of the notable runs of the day, so you can all keep a separate tab open on your PC or tablet. As always, this is being done for charity, with the event organizers raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Let's take a look at some of today's runs worth watching.
Day 2 Runs to Watch
Super Star Wars (Super Nintendo) - 10:42AM PT
How about that new Star Wars movie, eh? For many, it was a trip back to childhood and, with that in mind, today's a good day to go back to the classic Star Wars games. Technically a part of today's Disney Block (How about that!), Super Star Wars is an early Super Nintendo platformer that marked the series' first entry on 16-bit consoles. And while much of it featured standard platforming, there were also some vehicle stages that showed off the Super NES' Mode 7 new graphics effects. This should be a fun trip to the past, so watch as Striker and Danzel_Glovington race to see who can complete the game first, with a target time of 32 minutes.
Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One/PC) - 7:07PM PT
Ori and the Blind Forest was represented at Summer Games Done Quick, but this run will see two speed runners (Grimelios and Ankamius) attempt to complete the game and collect all of the game's Cells, to boot. The Super Meat Boy-style difficulty makes watching these speed runs a blast, so it'll be impressive to see these speed runners attempt to wrap this up in under an hour.
Axiom Verge - 11:32PM PT
The main event for these Games Done Quick events is always Super Metroid, but how about the greatest (at least in this writer's opinion) homage to Samus' 16-bit classic? Tom Happ's love letter to the Metroid series was a phenomenal effort and it'll be interesting to see how it fares in the speed running circuit. Happ has been ready for a day like this, even implementing an actual Speed Run mode in his game that skips the cutscenes and filler, letting the speed runner get right down to business. GVirus will attempt to complete this game in under an hour, but with some labyrinthine design and a tough final boss, it won't be an easy task.
Day 1 Highlight
Diddy Kong Racing
I attempted to describe the adventure element of Diddy Kong Racing yesterday, but that element isn't on display this time around. It's actually MrsGizamaluke and Toufool31 running through all of the game's races individually, but that's quite a feat in itself. The sheer accuracy required to hit all of the game's boosts is mind-blowing and is worth a look. The video can be seen below, but bear with the echo problem that the uploaders apparently had.
Today's Full Schedule (All times in PT)
- 6:02AM - Devil May Cry 3 or 4: Special Edition (PvtCb - 1:30:00, 3: Dante NG Normal v 4: Vergil NG Devil Hunter)
- 7:42AM - Transformers: Devastation (Halfcoordinated - 0:56:00, Any% NG+ Prime Difficulty, 1-Handed)
- 8:47AM - Resident Evil HD Remaster (Carcinogen - 1:45:00, Jill or Chris Real Survival Best Ending)
- 10:42AM - Super Star Wars (Striker, Danzel_Glovington - 0:32:00, Any% Race)
- 11:22AM - The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (R3DninjaJOSH, darbian - 0:20:00, Any% Hard)
- 11:52AM - Disney's Aladdin (JoeDamilio - 0:22:00, Any%)
- 12:22PM - The Lion King (TheMexicanRunner - 0:20:00, Any% Hard)
- 12:52PM - Goof Troop (Yagamoth - 0:25:00, any% 1p2c)
- 1:27PM - Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Zetris - 3:20:00, Any% Proud)
- 5:07PM - BattleBlock Theater (MechaRichter, PJ - 1:50:00, Any% Co-op Insane)
- 7:07PM - Ori and the Blind Forest (Grimelios, Ankamius - 1:00:00, All Cells)
- 8:17PM - Velocity 2X (Nosraef - 1:50:00, New Game Any%)
- 10:12PM - Super Time Force Ultra (Tohloo - 0:32:00, All Missions)
- 10:52PM - Fez (Vulajin - 0:32:00, Any%)
- 11:32PM - Axiom Verge (GVirus - 1:00:00, Any%)
The Stream and Donation Links
And once again, anyone looking to contribute to the Prevent Cancer Foundation can do so from the Prevent Cancer Foundation website.