With a full summer to play with, people have been looking to invest in hard, as over half a billion dollars in retail sales was garnered up in July. All of it was led by the PlayStation 4, which reigns supreme this month. However, sales for both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are on a 'modest' rise, overall, according to the folks at the NPD Group.
Turning to the world of software, the success of Jurassic World was far better than anyone could have expected. But it does stand to reason that the success would extend into the gaming world, as well. With that said, LEGO Jurassic World reigns at the top of the video game sales charts, just edging out Batman Arkham Knight.
Overall, the summer doldrums continue to kick in on the software side, meaning perennial stalwarts like Minecraft and Grand Theft Auto V are also in the top 5, rounded out by Rory McIlroy PGA Tour. It's a mish-mash of genres along the bottom five, as The Elder Scrolls Online continues to do fairly well at retailers, followed by a resurgent Destiny, Mortal Kombat X, FIFA 15, and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
- LEGO: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, PS3, XBO, NWU, PS4, PSV)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, XBO, PC)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, XBO, PS4)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
- Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour (PS4, XBO)
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (XBO, PS4, PC)
- Destiny (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, XBO)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, 360,. XBO, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
Ozzie Mejia posted a new article, July NPD: PS4 leads a 'modest' July, while LEGO Jurassic World topples Batman
Can't say I'm surprised by the figures considering it's July.
NPD games software rankings just aren't that meaningful anymore given that digital sales ( which NPD excludes ) have increased so much in the current console generation. Still, I wouldn't expect retail and digital sales rankings to be radically different.
I think it may be something to consider with a game by game basis.
Good luck tallying any PC sales :P