Rumor: Microsoft resurrecting Silent Hills as an Xbox One exclusive

An anonymous industry source reports Microsoft is "hungry for exclusives" and Silent Hills could be next on the plate.

10

Rumors are circulating that Microsoft is in negotiations with Konami to revive Silent Hills. The game was officially canceled in April and the teaser, P.T., was pulled from the PlayStation Store shortly after.

The rumor comes from the YouTube channel, The Know, and reports that Microsoft is trying to finish the deal soon in order to announce Silent Hills at this year’s E3 as an Xbox One exclusive. The transaction is believed to be worth billions of dollars, leading us to think Microsoft could be purchasing the rights to the entire franchise. The game is said to have been 80 percent complete when it was canceled and could be released as early as spring 2016.

The news comes from an anonymous source who has given credible information in the past. The source was said to have leaked Microsoft's plans to release an Xbox One without Kinect long before Microsoft made it official.

If it is true, this is great news for the series and its fans. Silent Hills was slated to be the latest entry in the franchise and featured Norman Reedus as the story's protagonist and had direction from both Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro.  The horrifying P.T. trailer is reason enough to be happy for a Silent Hills resurrection on any console.

Freelance Writer
From The Chatty
  • reply
    May 29, 2015 2:30 PM

    Tad Huempfner posted a new article, Rumor: Microsoft resurrecting Silent Hills as an Xbox One exclusive

    • reply
      May 29, 2015 3:14 PM

      Jfc... Billions to purchase the ip? Is silent hill that popular?

    • reply
      May 29, 2015 3:49 PM

      That would be really shocking actually, considering the heavy Playstation roots of the franchise.

      • reply
        May 30, 2015 6:44 AM

        That's probably why they're so tempted.

      • reply
        May 30, 2015 3:23 PM

        True, but it's not like Silent Hill hasn't been on Xbox before. From the outstanding Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (best version of SH2 at the time) to the truly disappointing Silent Hill Collection (which was wholly Konami's fault) it's graced Microsoft's consoles with its presence. If Konami is so eager to kill the golden goose on this one, I could think of far worse companies to pick up the franchise.

        And as a bonus, maybe we'll finally get a playable version of SH3 on a Microsoft console.

    • reply
      May 29, 2015 3:50 PM

      That would be pretty awesome if they can build off of what PT was supposed to become.

    • reply
      May 29, 2015 4:17 PM

      Well, I don't see how you could reasonably argue that this wouldn't be a better outcome than the game not being made at all.

      That said, some people would be upset. People complained about Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive even though the developer was very clear that without Nintendo there would have been no sequel at all.

    • reply
      May 29, 2015 5:14 PM

      Smart move if they do go that route. Hard to say if they'll make back any investment, but I think it could incentivise XBOs over PS4 sales.

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 12:22 AM

      Woah, I thought that was Daryl from The Walking Dead (the frontpage pic). Looks identical - http://i.imgur.com/Ap5XhkC.jpg

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 12:44 AM

      Oh god yes please. More Silent Hill would be great.

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 12:48 AM

      Holy fuck I just came in my pants. I almost got a ps4 just for this game. Glad I didnt!

      • reply
        May 30, 2015 6:45 AM

        They'll both be worth having eventually. I'm happy with both, though so far I've played a lot more XBone.

        • reply
          May 30, 2015 11:27 AM

          Oh yeah. I always get all the consoles. I am just glad with my choice so far. PS4 with Uncharted 4 is when I'll get it. That's the oy game that looks fun as an exclusive so far to me.

          • reply
            May 30, 2015 12:22 PM

            Yeah, to be fair, I almost regret getting the PS4 this soon, barely played it. I'll get on it when Bloodborne goes on sale on digital though.

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 1:24 AM

      Would have loved to have seen this game made when it was still being headed by Kojima/Del Toro.

      • reply
        May 30, 2015 6:07 AM

        I think that is the major miscalulation here. Kojima and Del Toro probably won't touch it now thanks to Konami's shenanigans. MS might have the right team to make something else, but the promise of Silent Hills is truly gone.

        • reply
          May 30, 2015 6:12 AM

          If the game is actually already 80% complete, I wager anything Kojima and del Toro were doing is long-since done.

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 6:38 AM

      There's no way Silent Hills was near 80% complete.

      • reply
        May 30, 2015 7:25 AM

        Yeah, that's where this falls apart for me. GdT's comments about the game made it sound like something that was still pretty early. If it was nearly complete, I seriously doubt Konami would have just tossed it.

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 6:20 PM

      That'd be amazing!

    • reply
      May 30, 2015 8:15 PM

      The rest of the internet is already reporting that this isn't true. Microsoft said its false.