Smash Bros director apologizes in advance for cut characters

"We don't have the time to fully recreate every single character who's been in Smash Bros at this point."

29

The roster for the upcoming Smash Bros game for Wii U and 3DS includes many familiar faces. However, don't expect every character from previous games to return. Director Masahiro Sakurai is apologizing to fans in advance about potentially lost characters. "We're going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us," he said. "But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I'd like to apologize in advance to those fans."

Sakurai told NowGamer that he doesn't expect every character to return simply because "we don't have the time to fully recreate every single character who's been in Smash Bros at this point." He points out that "adding new characters is not a simple addition--it's really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go."

Every entry in the series thus far has had a larger roster. However, some characters have been dropped in favor of new ones over the years. For example, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link were all cut when the franchise jumped from Gamecube to Wii. If the next Smash Bros does end up cutting a few characters, we do have a suggestion: one of the three Star Fox characters, perhaps?

From The Chatty
  • reply
    June 22, 2013 1:30 PM

    Andrew Yoon posted a new article, Smash Bros director apologizes in advance for cut characters.

    "We don't have the time to fully recreate every single character who's been in Smash Bros at this point."

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 1:32 PM

      I want to fight as bullet guy from super mario world.

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 1:35 PM

      If they don't include Yoshi, Nintendo is dead to me.

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 1:36 PM

      bring on Bayonetta

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 1:38 PM

        Word is that Bayonetta is an official Nintendo IP now, ie. not owned by Platinum anymore, so it could very well happen.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 2:45 PM

          Sega owned the Bayonetta IP, and as far as I know, they still do. Sega is effectively licensing Nintendo to fund Bayonetta 2.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 2:56 PM

          got a reference link too this?

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 4:27 PM

          Aww so if a sequel happens it won't be on ps4?

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 4:36 PM

          I just remembered where I saw this and now wish I stayed quiet. Take with a grain of salt obviously.

          http://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/1glro4/found_out_my_friend_somehow_got_in_to_the/

          • reply
            June 22, 2013 4:45 PM

            I can understand Wonderful 101 being locked into Nintendo, as that was a project that Kamiya started specifically on Wii U (previously codenamed "Project P-100"), and was originally launched as a Wii U launch title: http://www.shacknews.com/article/74179/project-p-100-announced-for-wii-u-from-platinum-games (but obviously it's coming out after the "launch window", slated for this September).

            Bayonetta, on the other hand, is owned by Sega, ever since the first publishing deal for the first game, which was in development relatively early after Platinum Games formed from many of the developers who left Clover Studio in 2007. Kamiya said that he and a couple of other producers were storyboarding a potential sequel, but there wasn't really funding from Sega (especially as Sega had canceled a few unannounced titles in early 2012 due to restructuring: http://www.shacknews.com/article/73109/sega-cancels-unspecified-titles-amid-business-streamlining ).

            Nintendo talked with Platinum and Sega, and worked out a deal where Nintendo distributes the game, but Sega still has their logo in the trailer, therefore, they're still likely the IP holder, and co-publisher.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 7:34 PM

          Even if they can't actually use Bayonetta, the character, because of her M-rated nature, that doesn't mean they can't toss in a Bayonetta-themed stage or Bayonetta-themed items. It'll be there in some capacity.

          • reply
            June 22, 2013 7:50 PM

            Why couldn't they use her? Solid Snake was in the last one and the MGS games are M rated.

            • reply
              June 22, 2013 10:14 PM

              Probably because so many of her attacks involve using the hair that comprises her clothing. I'm not sure Nintendo would be willing to represent her fighting that accurately. I suppose easy solution would be to just have the attacks without her clothing changing, but who knows. Snake works, but I'm not sure Bayonetta would.

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 1:55 PM

      I know this is kind of a new area for Nintendo, but they can totally bring that kind of stuff to the game later as downloadable content at a later date.

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 1:57 PM

      Dont cut Snake, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Ness or Sonic! Get rid of Captain Falcon, Falco, ROB the robot, Marth, Lucas, and Luciero.

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 2:06 PM

        Why the heck would you get rid of Marth? Marth's a great non-clone character and he's been in for two gens.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 2:17 PM

          Marth is my go-to character in Melee.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 5:33 PM

          It would make sense for the. To get rid of Marth and replace him with "Marth" (from awakening).

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 2:59 PM

        Smash Bros without Captn Falcon? Sure. Next they'll get Ryu out of SF5.

        • reply
          June 24, 2013 3:40 PM

          Oh they tried to oust Ryu but that shit didn't fly!

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 3:33 PM

        No falcon punch? GTFO.

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 10:15 PM

        No Captain Falcon?!?! That's one of the worst ideas ideas I've heard from you, and that's saying something.

      • reply
        June 23, 2013 10:26 AM

        ice climbers need to go. snake will most likely be gone as they likely only paid to have him in the one game.

      • reply
        June 23, 2013 8:23 PM

        Cut Marth and Captain Falcon? What in the fuck?

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 2:46 PM

      This is really sad news. They are adding new characters but 'can't be arsed to add in existing characters'

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 4:23 PM

        there were 37 in brawl, how many do you guys need!

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 4:27 PM

          Doesn't help that a lot of them are just tweaks of each other

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 4:30 PM

          They'll never be able to cash in on the craze with Nintendo Dota at this rate.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 4:40 PM

          Does nintendo do DLC? maybe they will add in those missing characters as DLC

          • reply
            June 22, 2013 4:41 PM

            they did for the new mario game, maybe they'll do this too

            • reply
              June 22, 2013 4:46 PM

              If this is true I hope they aren't taking too many notes on the new Killer Instinct :(

          • reply
            June 22, 2013 6:12 PM

            That leads to issues like on disc DLC or characters that need to be downloaded for online matches. Jeff on giant bombcast has talked about the issues before with adding characters and online play.

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 3:21 PM

      RIP Ice Climbers

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 7:39 PM

        F that. Ice Climbers 4 lyfe.

        Seriously, they're one of my favorite characters, but if anybody gets cut it'll probably be them or Game and Watch.

        • reply
          June 22, 2013 8:45 PM

          I'm terrible at Smash Brothers but I've always loved Mr. Game & Watch for the trolling power. :D

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 3:23 PM

      this is what happens when you add too many characters

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 4:32 PM

      Hopefully Ganondorf and Mewtwo are in this game. They were my most favorite and most played characters in Melee :[ (Though Ganondorf was in Brawl, I liked the Melee version more)

    • DM7 legacy 10 years
      reply
      June 22, 2013 8:30 PM

      I hope Sonic is still in the game. Mario vs Sonic is just awesome to do. :d

      • reply
        June 22, 2013 10:17 PM

        How cool would Mario v. Sonic v. Mega Man v. Snake be? Super rad.

        • reply
          June 24, 2013 3:49 PM

          I had that in mind but left out Snake!!!! Now all Nintendo and Konami would need to do is redesign Snake to look like his classic incarnation and then this battle would be perfect!!! Oh and use Classic chubby Sonic over New lean Sonic!

          The Battle of the Gods of a Bygone Era!!!!

          OH that needs to happen!!!!!

    • reply
      June 22, 2013 11:20 PM

      DEE ELLE SEEEEE

    • reply
      June 24, 2013 1:55 AM

      Please don't cut Ness, Lucas and Jygglypuff.

      And I want Lloyd and Zero !

    • reply
      June 24, 2013 6:41 AM

      Get rid of Fox McClouds Nemesis. Maybe even Falco (IF you had to). Keep either Ness or the other, I forget his name. Get rid of all the singular Pokeman's and combine them into the P-Trainer. Keep the best ones.
      No one likes their favorites gone, but I can see where some trimming needs to take place. We all have favorites.

      • reply
        June 24, 2013 3:59 PM

        Actually I'd prefer Wolf to stay in the game. I wish it featured more Nemesis type match ups as I feel the game lacks villains! I always wanted King K.Rool in the game to match up with DK.

Hello, Meet Lola