Sony denies NGP delayed by quake

Sony is denying that the earthquake and tsunami in Japan have had an impact on production of the NGP, calling earlier reports "wrong" and saying the quake has had "no impact."

4

Sony is now denying earlier reports that the earthquake and tsunami in Japan have had an impact on production of its NGP (Next Generation Portable). The Wall Street Journal (requires subscription) reports that a Sony spokesperson has called the earlier report simply "wrong."

"So far we see no impact from the quake on our launch plan," said spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka. He noted that the company will monitor the situation for changes. However, Fukuoka also clarified that the company never claimed it would launch in all three regions at once.

A few days ago, a report quoted Jack Tretton as saying that the quake may force Sony to only launch the system in one territory this year. He said that the quake had disrupted production facilities in nothern Japan, as well as third-party parts manufacturers.

Technically, Tretton never called it a delay, but his words implied that the company's plan had been to launch in more than one territory in 2011. His revelations about disrupted production facilities, on the other hand, are more directly contradictory to Fukuoka's claim that the company has seen no impact. We'll likely hear Sony's launch plans, whatever they are, at E3 in a few months.

Editor-In-Chief
From The Chatty
  • reply
    April 7, 2011 7:45 AM

    Comment on Sony denies NGP delayed by quake, by Steve Watts.

    • reply
      April 7, 2011 7:47 AM

      It was delayed by unreal instead

    • reply
      April 7, 2011 7:53 AM

      this is unreal, completely doomed by the quake. What's the half life of pr spin like this? I know making a console is a marathon, and Sony gets no halos for all their sins but I can't help but feel some fear for them here.

      • reply
        April 7, 2011 8:09 AM

        Nice

      • reply
        April 7, 2011 8:29 AM

        TLDR; Redneck Rampage.

        • reply
          April 7, 2011 9:48 AM

          Aw damn I missed that, Shadow Warrior, and Rise of the Triad too. :(

      • reply
        April 7, 2011 8:30 AM

        well played, sir

      • reply
        April 8, 2011 7:10 AM

        With the cellphones that are all the rage, and the devastation on sony's homefront, perhaps they have decided that right now isn't the best time to stage a counter-strike. The earthquake was a pretty big disruptor to be sure...and the hackers and outlaws are giving them a hard time...I can understand why they'd be hesitant to walk into another killzone after the psp becoming a pariah platform. I still hope the rise to the call of duty and give us something a far cry better than their last portable. Else I fear they will be on the brink of being left for dead...a descent into the black eternal darkness, and no amount of painkillers can bring you back from that damnation.

    • reply
      April 7, 2011 8:06 AM

      Summary: Sony is denying that the earthquake and tsunami in Japan have had an impact on production of the NGP, calling earlier reports "wrong" and saying the quake has had "no impact."