Due in September 2010, Shattered Dimensions is coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii via developer Beenox, with Griptonite crafting a Nintendo DS rendition.
Alongside the media, Activision also passed along a fact sheet:
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions is a thrilling action-packed adventure set in four dramatically different universes from legendary Spider-Man lore, each with a distinct Spider-Man armed with unique skills and strengths, in one original storyline. Players will be transported to new locations never before seen in a Spider-Man game, from lush jungles and dusty deserts to various urban terrains. Acclaimed comic book writer Dan Slott takes players on a mission to contain the magical energy of the Tablet of Order and Chaos, which has been shattered and sent hurtling across parallel universes, and battle fan-favorite villains in a quest to restore the fabric of reality.
- Four Worlds, One Story -- Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions gives gamers four unique universes to explore, each featuring authentic and unique art styles, from the classic pen-and-ink-styled Amazing Spider-Man to the moody, 1930s cinema-influenced Noir.
- The Strength of Four Spider-Men -- Players harness new gameplay mechanics through each costume of Spider-Man: The web-slinging, aerial Amazing Spider-Man delivers sweeping blows and powerful kicks in a world that pays tribute to the classic era of our legendary Super Hero, while the mysterious and stealthy Spider-Man Noir prefers to lurk in the shadows of a 1930s-influenced cinematic environment before unleashing his perilous strength.
- Taking the Traditional Spider-Man Game to the Next Level -- For the first time, Spider-Man can deliver damage up close and personal via a first-person perspective during key moments of battle. Boss-themed levels with new environments, music and pacing, along with a vast new cast of ferocious villains, will engage gamers in a fast-paced action-adventure. Players will take on the world's greatest hunter Kraven in the Amazing universe and, in the service of Norman Osborn (aka "The Goblin"), Hammerhead and his henchmen in the gritty Noir universe.
- Variety for casual and hardcore fans -- Beyond the four vastly different worlds to explore, players will uncover surprises around every corner, including new abilities and multiple costumes and bonuses to unlock.
- Nintendo DS Version -- Griptonite Games brings Shattered Dimensions to life in a unique new way on the Nintendo DS, evolving to new heights the high-octane, well-received gameplay Griptonite is known for. Join Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man Noir and one other Spider-Man as they traverse their side-scrolling worlds, gaining powers as they progress that allow them to explore previously unreachable areas. In addition to different style of gameplay, the DS version of Shattered Dimensions also boasts a unique cast of seven Spider-Man villains, including Electro of the Amazing universe and the first ever appearance of Calypso Noir, who, along with two other boss characters, was created from scratch exclusively for this Nintendo DS game.
I have no idea what to think about this game. It seems all over the place.
This is my first encounter with it by name or media, and aside from what look like pretty mediocre graphics it looks like a really fun take on the franchise. They really cannot do worse than they've been doing with it, so a radical departure from "spider-man swings around manhattan and beats up common thugs" is pretty welcome.