In a release today the Writers Guild of America revealed the nominees for outstanding achievement in videogame writing from 2009. They are:
- Assassin's Creed 2 -- Story by Corey May, Script Writers Corey May, Joshua Rubin, and Jeffrey Yohalem; Ubisoft Entertainment
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 -- Written by Jesse Stern, Additional Writing Steve Fukuda, Story by Todd Alderman, Steve Fukuda, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Jesse Stern, and Jason West, Battlechatter Dialogue Sean Slayback; Activision
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves -- Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
- Wet -- Written by Duppy Demetrius; Bethesda Sotfworks
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine -- Script Writer Marc Guggenheim; Activision
Representing the writers in motion pictures, television, cable, new media, and broadcast news, the Writers Guild introduced the award to acknowledge "the essential creative contributions made by videogame writers" two years ago. Dead Head Fred took home that first trophy with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed capturing the honors last year. This year's winner will be announced at simultaneous events in New York City and Los Angeles on Saturday, February 20.
Wtf is CoD:MW2 doing on there?
That story was the biggest pile of shit ever.
Agreed. But some other noteworthy names are missing too. Dragon Age, anyone? That had a great story, and it's an RPG to boot. Haven't played Assassin's Creed 2 or Uncharted 2 yet, hope they live up to what this article is implying (though, having MW2 on this list makes me wonder).
Maybe only WGA members can be nominated.
I agree, WTF they have CoD:MW2 but no Dragon Age? Are they serious? The CoD:MW2 writing was amazingly terrible. When 90% of your players have no idea what the hell is going on, and things are just randomly happening -- it's bad.
As much as I enjoy the game I have to agree. That was a big record scratch moment.