Among the various items packed into the $79.99 Steelbook case will be the game itself, a credit card-shaped USB drive, a hard-bound art book and two "collectible decals." In addition, Collector's Edition buyers will also get "first access" to an in-game weapon, an exclusive in-game suit and a digital comic.
The Collector's Edition is due in stores alongside the regular PC and Xbox 360 editions of Ubisoft's stealth action sequel on February 23. No word yet if both platforms will receive the Collector's Edition--today's materials only referenced an Xbox 360 version.
A breakdown of the bonus items that the $20 premium brings is below. Should you be interested in procuring a copy, Ubisoft cautions that the Collector's Edition will "have a very limited run, so reserve now to guarantee a copy. "
- CUSTOM USB DRIVE - This credit card-sized 3rd Echelon USB drive can stealthily fit in your wallet, is compatible with Xbox 360, and is loaded to the max with exclusive content you won't find anywhere else, including:
- Full-length 'Making of Splinter Cell Conviction' video
- Concept art
- And more...
- Relive the best of Splinter Cell from past to present. This comprehensive hard-bound art book by Prima(TM) includes detailed art from the original Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, Double Agent, and Conviction, as well as in-depth commentary and notes from the developers.
- Gain first access to the MP5-SD3, a lethal close-quarters submachine gun with an integrated suppressor.
- Customize your multiplayer character with an exclusive 3rd Echelon outfit.
- 3rd Echelon Logo Decal
- Iconic Bullet Hole Decal
- Watch the sequence of events preceding Splinter Cell Conviction unfold before your eyes in this one of a kind digital Splinter Cell comic book.
- Premium embossed metallic steel case packaging with iconic imagery.
Hopefully the collectors' edition also includes a version of the game that sticks to the roots of the series instead of diverging into the territory of the Bourne series.
If not, I'll be giving the special edition a miss.
IMO, after 5 or so games, they've got the right to change it up a bunch.
Also, this collector's edition looks pretty good for what's inside.