Hello, all. It's a new month, a new Friday, and I am here again to send you off into a new weekend. It's time for a fresh round of news, memes, and entertainment! It's the Friday edition of Evening Reading!
In case you missed it at Shacknews:
- Shackpets launches new Latest Pets website on shacknews.com
- Inkulinati is like the Monty Python of Pentiment
- Games Done Quick founder postpones plans to step down amid medical emergency
- Deep Rock Galactic devs celebrate five years since launch with DRG Legacy mode
- Activision Blizzard to pay $35 million for breaking SEC whistleblower rule
- Knockout City is shutting down this June
- Twitter Blue Verified creators will start receiving revenue for ads in their replies
- Twitter will sunset legacy verification 'in a few months'
- Biden expands EV tax credits to make more vehicles eligible
- EU issues antitrust warning against Microsoft/Activision Blizzard merger
- Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 2 still 'in active development' says Legendary
- Retro Bowl 'Exhibition games' coming to iOS and Android
- Jury finds Elon Musk is not liable for shareholder losses following 'funding secured' TSLA tweet
- Shack Chat: What game deserves a GoldenEye Slappers Only mode?
And, because it's the weekend, go find yourself something to play!
- Weekend Console Download Deals for Feb. 3: Dying Light 2's first anniversary
- Weekend PC Download Deals for Feb. 2: Spider-Men
Around the gaming horn
Want a first look at the upcoming John Cena Showcase mode in WWE 2K23? Who better to deliver it than the Up Up Down Down crew? Austin Creed and company check it out.
MLB The Show 23 unveils the Derek Jeter Captain Edition. Remember him as one of the game's greatest shortstops in all of baseball history and not as one of the league's worst owners in recent history.
Here's an early look at the Deutsches Afrikakorps, one of the factions you'll get to play as in the upcoming Company of Heroes 3.
Finally, return to Eo with SpellForce: Conquest of Eo, which is out today!
And now... Other Stuff From The Internet!!!
A salute to new endeavors
Some me news: after seven years, I’ve decided to step away from my role at Epic Games. It was a wild, challenging, and rewarding ride and I’m proud of the things we accomplished as a team. I worked alongside some of the best people can’t wait to see what’s next as a fan. ❤️ pic.twitter.com/vgVkEcjFoR— Nick Chester (@nickchester) February 3, 2023
We have a few noteworthy departures from the Epic Games space to address. First, there's Nick Chester, who transitioned to Epic after spending years as one of the faces of Harmonix. We wish Nick the best of luck with whatever comes next.
After 9 years at @PsyonixStudios @RocketLeague & @EpicGames I am stepping away to spend more time w/ my family before the kids head to college. Working on RL was the experience of a lifetime b/c of my talented co-workers and loyal players. Thank you one and all! I will miss you pic.twitter.com/CYCJYYbpM5— Jeremy Dunham (@DunhamSmash) February 2, 2023
We follow that by saying goodbye to Jeremy Dunham, a VP and one of the faces of Psyonix. Before Rocket League was ever scooped up by Epic Games, Jeremy first showed me a humble alpha build of the game at the old Furama Hotel in Los Angeles. I thought it would be a fun multiplayer game, but never expected it to hit the heights that it has. I don't think he expected it either, but he helped lead Psyonix there and we salute him on his way out.
Speaking of Rocket League...
High-skill Rocket League goals are still one of the best things in esports.
You have something I want
GQ sits down with Giancarlo Esposito and he breaks down his most memorable roles, including his roles in The Mandalorian and Breaking Bad.
(No Far Cry 6. Sorry.)
Justin Wong, one of the all-time greats, is here to tell you how you can get better at fighting games.
The big day's almost here!
But wait! Hang on! Enhance! Enhance! ENHANCE!
the fact that the Blue Shell Koopa is in the this official poster makes me think someone going to die on Rainbow Road pic.twitter.com/N3qFkyIvDY— Bear (@BearUNLV) February 3, 2023
Nothing but the Hotfix
We're taking a look at the latest episode of Challenger Approaching, which dives into the Legally Cute. Watch these runs of Untitled Goose Game, Donut County, and Goat Simulator 3.
GDQ's Hotfix shows air every week and you can catch them all at the Games Done Quick Twitch account.
Under the learning tree with Masahiro Sakurai
Masahiro Sakurai started a YouTube channel! Let's learn from his decades of experience together by looking at one of his latest videos. This week, Sakurai talks about game directors and how important it is for them to have their own unique visions.
This week in Shaqnews
The Diesel's still got wheels.
IT'S STILL REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!
There were a metric ton of highlights from Saturday's Royal Rumble event. This video looks at a few of them.
Tonight in video game music
Let's check out some more sets from this year's MAGFest, continuing with The 8-Bit Big Band.
That's it for the first Friday Evening Reading for the month of February! Be sure to keep the spirit of the classic Evening Reading alive by jumping into the comments about whatever you see here or whatever randomness you'd like to discuss. Join the conversation and dive into the Shacknews Chatty comment thread below. I'll see you all next week!