It would appear Ubisoft is cleaning house on its multiplayer and online servers on various games. The company recently announced it would be shutting down multiplayer and online services on over 90 titles. They range from the PS2 era all the way up to more modern titles, but include some beloved games, such as titles from the Splinter Cell, Rayman, Rainbow Six, Assassin’s Creed franchises, and more.
Ubisoft announced it would be closing down services on these games in a recent blog post on the Ubisoft Help web pages. The page goes on to describe what the shutdown of these games mean, whether they are multiplayer or not.
The full rundown of games and platforms with online services being shut down by Ubisoft is as follows:
- America's Army (Xbox 360)
- Anno 1404 (PC)
- Anno Online (PC)
- Assassin's Creed 2 (PC | MAC | iOS | OnLive)
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (OnLive)
- Assassin's Creed: Recollection (MAC | iOS)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (OnLive)
- Avatar (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Beyond Good and Evil (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Blazing Angels 2 (PC | Xbox 360)
- Call of Juarez 2: Bound in Blood (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Call of Juarez 3: The Cartel (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Driver: San Francisco (OnLive)
- ESPN Sport Connections (Wii U)
- Far Cry (PC)
- Far Cry 2 (PC)
- Far Cry Blood Dragon (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Flashback Origins (PC)
- Ghost Recon (PC)
- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- H.A.W.X. (PC)
- H.A.W.X. 2 (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | OnLive)
- Haze (PlayStation 3)
- Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (PC)
- I Am Alive (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Just Dance 3 (Xbox 360)
- Just Dance 3 Greatest Hits (Xbox 360)
- Just Dance 3 Kids (Xbox 360 | Wii | Wii U)
- Just Dance 4 (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | Wii U)
- Just Dance 2014 (PlayStation 3 | PlayStation 4| Xbox 360 | Xbox One | Wii | Wii U)
- Just Dance 2015 (PlayStation 3 | PlayStation 4 | Xbox 360 | Xbox One | Wii | Wii U)
- Just Dance 2016 (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | Wii)
- Just Dance 2017 (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | Wii)
- Just Dance 2018 (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | Wii)
- Just Dance Disney Party (Xbox 360 | Wii)
- Just Dance Disney Party 2 (Xbox 360)
- Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Xbox 360 | Wii U)
- Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (PC)
- Might & Magic Duel of Champions (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Might & Magic Showdown (PC)
- Might & Magic Showdown Paint Workshop (PC)
- Might & Magic X: Legacy (PC)
- MotionSports (Xbox 360)
- MotionSport Adrenaline (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- My Fitness Coach Club (PlayStation 3)
- PowerUp Heroes (Xbox 360)
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | OnLive)
- PureFootball (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Rabbids Alive and Kicking (Xbox 360)
- Rabbids Go Home (Wii)
- Rabbids Land (Wii U)
- Rabbids Travel in Time (Wii)
- Rainbow Six - Raven Shield (PC)
- Rainbow Six Lockdown (PC | Nintendo GameCube | PlayStation 2 | Xbox)
- Rainbow Six Vegas (PC | PlayStation 3 | PlayStation Portable | Xbox 360)
- Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | Xbox One)
- Rayman 3 (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Rayman 3 HD (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Rayman Legends (PC)
- Rayman Origins (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- R.U.S.E. (MAC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- R.U.S.E. Beta (PC)
- Scrabble 2007 (PC)
- Scrabble 2009 (PC)
- Settlers 3 (PC)
- Settlers 4 (PC)
- Settlers 6: Rise of an Empire (PC)
- Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom (PC | MAC)
- Settlers: Heritage of Kings (PC)
- Shape Fitness Evolved (Xbox 360)
- Shape Up (Xbox One)
- Shaun White Skateboarding PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | OnLive
- Shaun White Snowboarding (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | OnLive)
- Silent Hunter 3 (PC)
- Silent Hunter 4: U-boat Missions (PC)
- Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (PC)
- Silent Hunter 5 (OnLive)
- Smurfs 2 (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Spartacus Legends (PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Wii U)
- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PC)
- Splinter Cell: Conviction (PC | MAC | OnLive)
- Splinter Cell: Double Agent (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- The Adventures of Tintin (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Tom Clancy's EndWar (PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360)
- Toy Soldiers War Chest (PC | PlayStation 4 | Xbox One)
- Watch Dogs Companion (Android | iOS)
- World in Conflict (PC)
- Your Shape Fitness Evolved (Xbox 360)
- Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 (Xbox 360)
- Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 (Wii U)
It’s a shame to see the online services and multiplayer of so many games sunset, but it’s also a little surprising to see that some of the titles on this list weren’t already. As rumors circle about Ubisoft possibly facing a buyout, there’s speculation that the company is tidying up its records and financial housekeeping. This may very well be part of that effort. Either way, it would seem anyone still lingering on these games won’t be able to go back to them (at least regarding online service) for the foreseeable future.
TJ Denzer posted a new article, Ubisoft shuts down online service on over 90 games dating back to PS2
Ubisoft shuttering online services for about 90 games
Oh no the OnLive version of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood!
Did... did no one tell them OnLive shut down entirely in 2015? Like if they've been hosting those servers did they fail to notice literally no one has logged on in seven years?
Like I said below- these were mostly not recently shut down. This is just the list of all Ubisoft games that have been shut down and people are passing it around like it is news.
I remember people being indignant when EA shut down the servers for BF1942 in 2015. People on Slashdot were so pissed off that they said if you're going to shut down servers at some point you should be required by law to spell that out on the box somewhere, except that would turn people off from ever buying the game.
I then pointed out EA did exactly that - the back of the box for BF1942 only guaranteed the servers would be online until September 4, 2003
They'd been sued for not making it clear on the box for Ultima Online (!) that the game required an Internet connection and a subscription fee so they wanted a "get out of jail" card in case BF1942 was a dud. Instead it was a hit and they ran the servers for a dozen years before turning off the lights.
Those are some old ass games.
As well as old ass creed games :)
Regardless of how old they are, the multiplayer will never be experienced again after they pull the plug. From a historical perspective that's unfortunate.
Just find an animus and you can play it through your genetic memories.
the day dance died
I don't really care about the OnLive stuff, but it's a bummer to see the PS3 and 360 titles going away :(
Also, how fucking wild is it that they've kept the Rainbow Six Lockdown servers up for all this time? That's a good decade longer than anyone else
Looks like any games that unlockable content tied to internent connectivlity will now have all that stuff re-locked, at least if you don't keep your save.
I don't care about any of those games, but this new normal sucks
Lame. The default should be unlocked everything.
It's UBI, the living embodiment of lame...
I really don't see any patches for PS2/PS3/Xbox/360 stuff coming out from any publisher at this point :(
For the PC versions, once everyone got converted over to the new Ubisoft service they opened up all the rewards and just made them part of the games.
Was nice hopping back into an older Anno game and they just vomited all the rewards at me in one go, was a constant reward pop up notification (like when you binge shop in Mass effect games).
Yeah for the console users that's going to be rough but I imagine those who are still playing xbox 360 and wii games are a very small audience and usually keep a save around.
I thought they already shut down services for splinter cell chaos theory? Thankfully it still has LAN support for co-op.
I would commit terrible crimes for a modern Rainbow Six Vegas.
Almost thought we were going to get that in R6 Guns of the Patriots.
Pepperidge Farms remembers those games.
It'd be nice if they provided a way to run private servers, so that function would not be lost.
lol I couldn't even run a local server when I worked with that tech internally.
Ubi's online tech was utter shit and 10 years outdated even then.
Some of the games are supported by gameranger https://www.gameranger.com/games/
losing Just Dance 2015 for the WiiU is going to be unpopular in my house hold. My daughter's most played WiiU game.
The servers shut down in 2018 so she should be OK if she hasn't noticed yet.
Weird because Just Dance Unlimited was still working as a month ago when I paid for the access.
Maybe unlimited is different servers
Guess thats it then.
Was super curious so I googled it and it is a separate pay online service. Accessible across multiple consoles and multiples games.
"As the service is exclusive to eighth-generation consoles and the Nintendo Switch, it can only be accessed with a Wii U (only through Just Dance 2016 to Just Dance 2019), an Xbox One, a PlayStation 4, a Nintendo Switch, a PC (with the use of Just Dance 2017), Google Stadia, a PlayStation 5, or an Xbox Series X."
Just updated and implemented into the new just dance as of November 2021 (another quick google search so double check my accuracy on the random clickbait blogs I got). Hopefully means the kid is good to go for a while longer.
I tried Blood Dragon when the servers happened to be down, that shit sucks. Every time I went to the menu there was a 45 second wait for it to try and connect and timeout.
This was my exact experience with it. Last Ubi game I tried.
My daughter is going to be upset. She still uses Just Dance 2015 for the WiiU almost weekly and subscribes to the online part to access Just Dance Unlimited to get new songs. I tried to get her to switch over to a more current Xbox One version but says it isn't the same.
I'm pretty sure several of these were shut down years ago- there's a bunch of OnLive games in this list. This is just the full list of shut down games, not recently shut down games.
For example MotionSports Servers shut down in August of 2014 and they're on this list.
The Just Dance servers listed were shut down in 2018
R6 Vegas games and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are kind of a shame