The Halloween season is rapidly approaching and Hearthstone is ready to celebrate it in a way that the game has never celebrated it before. It's going to be more than just a few holiday-themed events. Blizzard is taking this occasion to change up the Hearthstone meta as a whole by pulling 23 cards out of Wild and temporarily throwing them back into Standard play for the Doom in the Tomb event.
This is the sort of thing that happens when Arch-Villain Rafaam and Reno Jackson are both poking around the Haunted Temple of Uldum. Both the League of E.V.I.L. and the League of Explorers are searching through the Haunted Temple, but through the course of their runs, they unleashed some potent cards back into the Standard meta, including a few cards straight out of the Hall of Fame. The following cards will be made available from October 8-30:
- (4) Astral Communion (Gain 10 Mana Crystals. Discard your hand.)
- (10) Kun the Forgotten King (Choose One - Gain 10 Armor; or Refresh your Mana Crystals.)
- (1) Babbling Book (Battlecry: Add a random Mage spell to your hand.)
- (3) Flamewaker (After you cast a spell, deal 2 damage randomly split among all enemies.)
- (6) Mysterious Challenger (Battlecry: Put one of each Secret from your deck into the battlefield.)
- (1) Avenge (Secret: When one of your minions dies, give a random friendly minion +3/+2)
- (2) Lock and Load (Each time you cast a spell this turn, add a random Hunter card to your hand.)
- (9) Call of the Wild (Summon all three Animal Companions.)
- (1) Evolve (Transform your minions into random minions that cost (1) more.)
- (6) Thing from Below (Taunt. Costs (1) less for each Totem you've summoned this game.)
- (3) Shaku, the Collector (Stealth. Whenever this minions attacks, add a random card to your hand (from your opponent's class).)
- (1) Swashburglar (Battlecry: Add a random card to your hand (from your opponent's class).)
- (6) Lightbomb (Deal damage to each minion equal to its Attack.)
- (5) Vol'jin (Battlecry: Swap Health with another minion.)
- (3) Imp Gang Boss (Whenever this minion takes damage, summon a 1/1 Imp.)
- (2) Renounce Darkness (Replace your Hero Power and Warlock cards with another class's. The cards cost (1) less.)
- (10) Varian Wrynn (Battlecry: Draw 3 cards. Put any minions you drew directly into the battlefield.)
- (4) Bloodhoof Brave (Taunt. Has +3 Attack while damaged.)
- (10) N'Zoth, the Corruptor (Battlecry: Summon your Deathrattle minions that died this game.)
- (6) Sylvanas Windrunner (Deathrattle: Take control of a random enemy minion.)
- (8) Ragnaros the Firelord (Can't attack. At the end of your turn, deal 8 damage to a random enemy.)
- (7) The Curator (Taunt. Battlecry: Draw a Beast, Dragon, and Murloc from your deck.)
- (6) Emperor Thaurissan (At the end of your turn, reduce the Cost of cards in your hand by (1).)
If you've dusted these cards in the past, worry not. Blizzard will offer temporary copies of these cards to all players to use during the course of this event.
While the influx of Wild cards is the biggest story here, Blizzard is hardly stopping there. Players can expect to see special Tavern Brawls, starting next week. These are solo affairs, which will offer special rewards upon completion. Week one will see the League of E.V.I.L run a boss-filled gauntlet through the Haunted Temple. Defeating all of the bosses under an hour will unlock a Rastakhan's Rumble card pack, while prevailing in under 40 minutes will unlock a golden copy of Ancient Mysteries. Week two will switch over to the League of Explorers, as they run through the Haunted Temple. Clearing it in under an hour will unlock a golden Temple Berserker, while finishing in under 40 minutes will unlock a golden Generous Mummy. Week three is a special Tavern Brawl revolving around the Headless Horseman and a whole lot of Dreadsteeds. Summon 100 of them and unlock a Rise of Shadows card pack.
Arena players will have more than a couple of things to look forward to. The October event coincides with the normal Arena rotation, which will switch to the following sets, in addition to Basic and Classic cards:
- Saviors of Uldum
- Rastakhan’s Rumble
- Kobolds and Catacombs
- Journey to Un’Goro
- League of Explorers
On top of that, it's that time of year for Dual-Class Arenas, where players will select a Hero, a Hero Power, and get class cards from both associated classes. The first two weeks of the Doom in the Tomb event will offer players one free Arena Ticket to try it out.
Lastly, there will be more ways than ever to pick up more stuff, specifically free card packs. Anyone who logs in during the Doom in the Tomb event will get five card packs (two Saviors of Uldum, two Rise of Shadows, one Rastakhan's Rumble) absolutely free. Players will also find special daily quests, which earn either card packs or extra gold. If that's still not enough, there's the option to purchase a pair of special bundles. The Hex Bundle comes with 20 Rise of Shadows card packs and a Rise of Shadows Legendary, while the Flex Bundle has 20 Saviors of Uldum packs and a Saviors of Uldum Legendary. Each bundle will run for a discounted $19.99.
The Doom in the Tomb event begins on October 8 and runs through October 30.