Online security is more important now than ever, and gamers can now lock down their Grand Theft Auto Online and Red Dead Online accounts with Rockstar Social Club 2-Step Verification. Not only does 2-step verification or 2FA provide added security for accounts used over the internet, Rockstar Social Club 2FA also provides in-game perks for GTA Online and Red Dead Online. Here's how the whole process works.
Rockstar Games Social Club 2-Step Verification | Rockstar 2FA
It doesn't take long to enable 2-Step Verification on any valid Rockstar Games Social Club account. Using standard third-party authentication software, users can add an extra layer of security to their accounts and start earning some free goodies in the process. Here's how to enable Rockstar Games Social Club 2-Step Verification.
- Head over to the 2-Step Verification page on the Rockstar Games Social Club website and log in if needed. If this is your first time logging into the Social Club online, read and accept the EULA and other terms, then press press Next.
- If required, use the highlighted prompt to verify your Rockstar Games Social Club email address. This can be done from the Settings page.
- From the 2-Step Verification page, look for the purple button labeled Setup and click it to reveal a QR code and secret key.
- Using the authenticator app of your choice, scan the QR code using your mobile phone or manually enter the provided Secret Key. After that, enter the password and the Verification Code offered by the autheticator app.
- Click Verify to confirm 2-Step Verification.
Rockstar notes that two-step verification or 2FA for the Social Club won't be required for third-party authentication on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Google, Twitter, or Facebook. With that said, the support page notes that "sensitive changes to Social Club Account settings will still require a verification code." This will most likely be the case when changing things like account email addresses, passwords, or payment options.
Beyond the added security, Rockstar is offering up a selection of in-game goods for users who enable 2FA on their Rockstar Games Social Club accounts. Right now, the team is offering a direct deposit of $500,000 in GTA currency and 10 Gold Bars in Red Dead Online to all players who enable 2-Factor Verification on their accounts. The team also promises that "additional future benefits in both GTA Online and the Red Dead Online Beta" are planned beyond the gift of free money.
It's not difficult to enable 2-Factor Verification to any Rockstar Games Social Club account and start enjoying free in-game money in GTA Online as well as Red Dead Online. Be sure to keep up with the latest in Rockstar-flavored news by heading over to Shacknews' Rockstar home page, and learn more about the team's latest western-flavored release by heading over to our Red Dead Redemption 2 walkthrough and guide.
Kevin Tucker posted a new article, How to set up Rockstar Games Social Club 2-Step Verification