Microsoft recently announced the HoloLens 2, bringing their mixed reality headset technology even more feature updates. If you’re interested in picking up the HoloLens 2, or just interested in seeing what the new tech has to offer, then we can help. Here’s everything you need to know about Microsoft HoloLens 2, including its price, specs, features and when you can preorder it.
HoloLens 2 Specs
Microsoft’s second iteration of the HoloLens mixed reality headset is definitely an improvement over the first version. Those looking to pick up the new headset can look forward to some hefty upgrades. Here’s the current known specs for the upcoming HoloLens 2.
Optics: see-through holographic lens
Resolution: 2k, 3:2 light engines
Holographic density: >2.5k radiants
Eye-based rendering: Display optimization for 3DC eye position
Depth: Azure Kinect Sensor
IMU: Accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer
Camera: 8MP stills, 1080p30 video
|Audio and Speech||
Microphone: 5 channels
Speakers: Built-in spatial audio
|Compute and Connectivity||
SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 Compute Platform
HPU: 2nd generation custom-built holographic processing unit
WiFi: 802.11ac 2x2
USB: USB Type-C
Table source: Microsoft
HoloLens 2 Features
The Microsoft HoloLens 2 also comes with a slew of great features for users to look forward to as well. We’ve outlined the different features you can expect to see below.
- Users can now see more holograms at once through a much wider field of view. This allows you to read more intricate text and details on 3D images.
- HoloLens users will now be able to slip the HoloLens 2 directly on over their glasses. The more ergonomic design will also allow you to flip the visor up and step out of mixed reality so you can continue working on other tasks more easily.
- Unlike other head mounted displays out there, the HoloLens 2 will be available as a fully untethered device. This will remove any wires or external packs that might normally get in the way, allowing you to focus solely on your work at hand.
- Built in speakers allow users to experience their work through high quality audio as well as visuals, helping to round the entire experience together.
- Built in eye tracking will also allow the user to log in using their gaze, as well as interact directly with applications within having to touch anything.
- Improved hand tracking makes working within the HoloLens virtual environment much easier and intuitive.
HoloLens Pricing, Release Date and Preorder Details
Now that we’ve covered the specs and the features that the newest HoloLens provides, let’s go over the pricing of Microsoft’s latest mixed reality headset.
Unlike the original Microsoft HoloLens, the HoloLens 2 won’t cost you $5,000 to pick up. However, it isn’t exactly a product that’s ready for the average consumer, either. Instead, the HoloLens 2 will come in at around $3,500 to purchase. There’s no solid release date on when it will actually ship, but Microsoft has said that those who preorder the headset can expect it to be available eventually, most likely later this year.
As far as preorders go, you can pre-purchase the Microsoft HoloLens 2 by visiting the official website today. As we said above, it’ll come in at around $3,500 to pick it up, so make sure you’re ready to make the investment if you plan on preordering it today.
The HoloLens 2 isn’t the only new tech to make the news over the past couple of days. In fact, phone manufacturer Huawei announced the Mate X, their first foldable 5G phone over the weekend, so make sure you check out the latest news on that as well.