It looks like Blizzard is gearing up to announce something big within the Diablo franchise, as a job listing has appeared via the official Blizzard careers page.
The listing, seeking a Dungeon Artist for Diablo, has since been taken down, but it was published looking for the right person to fill the role with Diablo emblazoned all over the job opportunity.
"The minions of Hell are growing stronger..." the listing opens. "We're working on a new, unannounced Diablo project. Are you a skilled Dungeon Artist? Come work with us, and together we will build something exceptional."
Then the opening goes on to list some of what applicants will need to assist with during their tenure with Blizzard: "Modeling and texturing compelling assets. Essential skills include a solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets. You can concept, model, and texture your work! You are also up on the latest tools and technology. The ideal candidate works well in an environment of peers who are passionate about working on the dark gothic world of Diablo, making great games, killing millions of monsters and getting loot!"
The posting conveniently skips over any additional details about what kind of game this is, and whether it's a sequel, a new game entirely, or a remaster -- all would be welcome at this point, if we're being honest, but we'll probably be hearing more in that department soon. Here are the "bragging rights," otherwise, that the listing mentions:
- Work directly with level design to build atmospheric dungeons with a focus on composition, detail and mood, while ensuring that the gameplay space is readable.
- Author environmental assets for a modern pipeline including modeling, and texturing assets for the Diablo World
- Work with Lead Environment Artist and the Art Director to ensure all environments are meeting the high-quality bar Blizzard is known for.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques and reviews.
- 3+ years’ experience with world building and efficiently putting together in-game environments. Development experience modeling and texturing assets using Maya, ZBrush, and Substance painter/designer.
- Experience and a portfolio demonstrating assets developed in a modern pipeline and in game examples of World Building.
- Experience working with a lead artist or art director in developing a unique and cohesive modeling and texturing style for environment assets
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, composition and silhouette as it relates to world building and modeling.
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Ability to mentor junior environment artists and provide meaningful feedback
- Self-driven, excellent communicator, big picture minded and a model team-player
- Thinks of themselves as a game developer first, and an artist second
- A passion for games
- Organized and can optimize levels and assets for performance and memory.
What game do you think Blizzard is currently working on? Could it be a new entry in the series? Let us know what you think and we'll be sure to keep you updated with what's going on as soon as we know more. Or you might want to apply, if you think you''re the right person for the job.
Brittany Vincent posted a new article, Blizzard is Hiring For A New, Unannounced Diablo Project
Diablo: Nephelem Royale
hopefully they make a skill system like PoE