Now that Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is here, players are quickly trying to work out which of the ten available Specialists are the best to use in multiplayer. These hero-like classes allow players to take advantage of special abilities that suit their strategic needs, and a understanding their strengths and weaknesses will become a big part of effective teamwork. Read on to learn more about each of the different specialist classes in Black Ops 4.
Specialists and Class Abilities in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
There are eight different classes available in the Black Ops 4 multiplayer component, and all of them have their obvious strengths: the Rusher named Ruin has the grapple gun that allows for maximum agility, while the intel operator Recon is able to reveal enemy locations in the surrounding area. There's a little something for everyone, but more importantly, every specialist has their own critical role to fulfill in combat.
Role: Area Clearance
- 9-Bang - press R1 to throw a tactical grenade that flashes and stuns enemies. Can be cooked to detonate multiple times.
- Ballistic Shield - press L1 and R1 to summon a durable transforming defensive shield with a built-in machine pistol.
- Cluster Grenade - press R1 to fire a grenade that sticks to surfaces and disperses a number of smaller grenades.
- War Machine - press L1 and R1 to summon a grenade launcher that fires bouncing grenades which detonate after a short time or by directly hitting an enemy.
Role: Team Support
- Assault Pack - press R1 to deploy small ammunition magazines that provide the team with bonus score for taking down enemies.
- Tak-5 - press L1 and R1 to heal, boost max health, and remove the wounds for the caster and up to four targeted allies. Ability works through walls.
Role: Area Denial
- Reactor Core - hold R1 to emit a damaging radiation field that wounds enemies, reducing their maximum health for a period of time.
- Purifier - press L1 and R1 to summon a flamethrower that shoots a steady gout of flame, scorching enemies within close range.
Role: Ambush Tactics
- Mesh Mine - Deploy an explosive tripwire between two adjacent surfaces
- K9-Unit - Call in a deadly canine unit to follow you or patrol an area
Role: Remote Disruption
- Seeker - Throw out a rolling enemy-seeking mine that shocks and stuns enemies when hit
- Tempest - A tactical rifle that electrifies enemies when shot, stunning them
Role: Intel Operations
- Sensor Dart - press R1 to use sensor equipment that reveals enemies within its proximity on the minimap, visible to everyone on the team.
- Vision Pulse - press L1 and R1 to pulse the surrounding area and reveal enemies for a short period of time, visible to everyone on the team.
Role: Frontal Assault
- Grapple Gun - press R1 to quickly move to elevations and other locations.
- Grav Slam - press L1 and R1 to trigger a short, aggressive leap that delivers a lethal blast in a radius around the point of impact.
Role: Tactical Command
- Tac-Deploy - press R1 to deploy a beacon that allows your teammates to re-deploy to the surrounding area.
- Annihilator - press L1 and R1 to summon a massive high-caliber revolver that fires devastating rounds with increased bullet penetration.
Role: Path Blocker
- Razor Wire - press R1 to place razor wire in order to damage and slow enemies that attempt to cross it.
- Barricade - press L1 and R1 to deploy reinforced cover protection while securing objectives. Built-in microwave field slows and damages enemies. Owner can deactivate cover at will.
There's still a while to wait before Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 releases out until the wild on October 12. Until then, be sure to check up on related news concerning other presentation reveals, including three different zombies modes and a report confirming the game's lack of a single-player campaign.