It has been a long time coming, but Doomfist has been officially revealed as the 25th hero in Overwatch. There is no release date yet, but the character is now on the Public Test Realm, which means a launch is coming within the next week or two.
Doomfist is an offensive character - obviously - and brings several abilities to a fight, mostly from his powerful Gauntlet. His Hand Cannon can fire four projectiles from it, one at a time or all at once, and he also has a Rising Uppercut that knocks enemies into the air. Rocket Punch knocks enemies back, and deals extra damage if they are thrown into a wall. Seismic Slam is an AoE that draws enemies toward him, while his ultimate is Meteor Strike, where he leaps in the air and cause massive AoE damage when he lands. His passive is The Best Defense, which generates a shield every time he uses an ability.
For those interested in the lore, Doomfist is Nigerian and is one of the leaders of Talon, along with Reaper. His philosophy is that Earth will only get stronger through conflict, which will continually put him at odds with the Overwatch heroes.
Much to the chagrin of fans, Terry Crew will not be voicing Doomfist. Instead, theater director and actor Sahr Ngaujah will take on that role. Crews is an avid Overwatch player and had lobbied heavily for the role. He even visited Blizzard studios in December, leading to speculation that he had indeed been cast as Doomfist.
With the launch of Doomfist on the PTR comes other updates for testing as well. The loot box changes announced last month are still being tweaked, along with the highlight options. Here are the rest of the PTR patch notes:
Custom Games and Game Browser
- Clarified the text on the “Flag Carrier” options under the Capture the Flag settings for Custom Games
- Removed the “Projectile Speed” and “Projectile Gravity” options for heroes who do not have projectile weapons
- Added ability to create customized reticles
- Reticle options can be found under the “Controls” tab in the “Options” menu (click the “Advanced” expander under the “Reticle” heading)
- Fixed an issue preventing “Best In Game” stats from being updated
- Fixed a bug that could cause the user interface to incorrectly indicate that an enemy player has been hit when colliding with them
- Fixed a bug that could allow projectiles that would normally pierce shields (i.e. Reinhardt’s Fire Strike) to pass through other surfaces
- Fixed a bug that caused some players to lose audio during the match
- Fixed a bug that caused players to get a leaver penalty during offseason matches, even after the in-game banner advised it was safe to leave the match
Custom Games and Game Browser
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from joining custom games as a player when the number of spectator slots was set to 12
- Fixed a bug that removed the “Healing Dealt” modifier for Mei, Reaper, and Roadhog in Custom Games settings
- Fixed a bug that caused pilot D.Va to be visible in the MEKA cockpit before the Call Mech entrance animation played
- Fixed a bug that could cause eliminations from Junkrat’s Total Mayhem to be mislabeled in the kill feed
- Fixed a bug that triggered Junkrat’s ultimate callout, even when he was unable to actually use his ultimate
- Fixed a bug that allowed Roadhog’s Chain Hook to latch on to Orisa’s Supercharger
- Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to take damage after activating her Translocator
- Fixed a bug that prevented Soldier: 76 from placing his Biotic Field in certain locations on Eichenwalde’s first point
- Fixed a bug that caused AI-controlled players to perpetually move toward the objective on the Gardens point in Oasis
- Fixed a bug that prevented Training Bots from facing the right direction and returning to their original location after being moved by player interactions on the Practice Range
- Fixed a bug with that was causing unusual camera angles for Highlight Intros on Route 66
- Fixed a bug that could cause D.Va to fall through the floor while boosting into the ground in a specific area on Volskaya Industries
- Fixed a bug that caused the Heroes of the Storm promotional portraits to appear locked, even after being unlocked
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error message in chat if you attempted to spectate a new player while already spectating another player
- Fixed a bug that could cause the chat window to be placed too high on the main menu, blocking menu options
- Fixed a bug that prevented text from wrapping in the Report Player text box