The start of summer means it's time for the folks at Games Done Quick to once again begin raising money for Doctors Without Borders. The world's best speedrunners will converge for Summer Games Done Quick, which kicked off on Sunday morning. So far, they have raised over $600,000 for charity!
Shacknews is rounding up the Thursday schedule, as well as offering up some noteworthy runs to gather around Twitch to watch. Keep in mind that times are subject to change, depending on the length of the individual runs and their setup times. Things are really starting to pick up, so let's take a look at today's schedule:
Day 5 Schedule (All times listed are Eastern Time)
- 3:26 AM - Divinity: Original Sin (Any% Co-Op, 35:00) (Shaddex, DrTChops)
- 4:06 AM - Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (Good Ending, 35:00) (CapnClever)
- 4:46 AM - Ys Origin (Any% Toal EX, 1:30:00) (Ghost King)
- 6:26 AM - Ghosts'n Demons (Any%, 22:00) (Aquas)
- 6:53 AM - Kero Blaster (Zangyou, 40:00) (Metallama)
- 7:38 AM - Bleed 2 (Single-Life Very Hard, 30:00) (Studio)
- 8:18 AM - Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (Any% Normal, 30:00) (namux)
- 8:53 AM - The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (Beat the Game, 20:00) (ColonelFatso)
- 9:18 AM - The Firemen (Deathless, 23:00) (Omnigamer)
- 9:46 AM - Plok (Any%, 40:00) (Countdown42)
- 10:31 AM - Ratchet & Clank (All Gold Bolts, 1:20:00) (Xem)
- 11:56 AM - Jak II (Any%, 1:12:00) (sickynar)
- 1:13 PM - Shadow of The Colossus (NTA, 55:00) (Plush)
- 2:18 PM - Marathon Infinity (Total Carnage, 30:00) (aperturegrillz)
- 2:53 PM - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Any% Zipless, 1:30:00) (Hennejoe)
- 4:28 PM - The Talos Principle (All Sigils, 1:00:00) (Azorae)
- 5:33 PM - Portal (Inbounds, 20:00) (alexh0we)
- 5:58 PM - Bionic Commando Rearmed (100%, 50:00) (PJ)
- 6:58 PM - Chrono Trigger (Any% No Wrong Warp, 3:15:00) (puwexil)
- 10:23 PM - Mario Kart 64 (150cc All Cups (Skips), 35:00) (abney317)
- 11:08 PM - Mario Kart Wii (Nitro Tracks (No Skips), 42:00) (Jcool113)
- 12:10 AM - Tetris: The Grand Master (8-way 100% Race, 15:00) (aperturegrillz, Poochy.EXE, KevinDDR, EnchantressOfNumbers, JBroms, MxKai3, PARTY MAN X, eihoppe)
- 12:50 AM - Tetris: The Grand Master (2-players 1-controller race, 15:00) (Protomagicalgirl, aperturegrillz, KevinDDR, MxKai3)
- 1:15 AM - Tetris: The Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct (Shirase, 6:00) (KevinDDR)
- 1:43 AM - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (All Dungeons Swordless, 1:20:00) (Andy)
Notable Day 5 Runs to Watch
Tetris: The Grand Master (8-way 100% Race, 15:00) - 12:10AM
Tetris: The Grand Master (2-players 1-controller race, 15:00) - 12:50AM
Tetris: The Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct (Shirase, 6:00) - 1:15AM
At this point, there have been a lot of speedruns, so time management becomes a necessity, given that there are still things that need to be done during the day. I'm talking about work, errands, spouses and/or children that need to be taken care of. There's only so much time to spend watching speedruns. So for those that only have time to watch one block of runs this summer, this is the one to watch.
The Tetris: The Grand Master races are almost always the highlight of any Games Done Quick week. The pure mastery displayed by these players is amazing to behold. Viewers have never seen blocks fall this fast, as the runners waste no time letting the blocks evne move an inch. Their movements are planned out to the microsecond and just when it looks like things can't get anymore insane, the credits start rolling and blocking the view of the blocks, which doesn't deter the runners one bit. It is wild and it is worth everyone's attention.
Add to that the craziness of an 8-way race, followed by another race where two runners are playing on a single controller, Tetris: The Grand Master promises not to disappoint. But prepare to stay up late, because this year's schedule has been pushed back to the point that these runs are now going past the midnight hour on the east coast.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (All Dungeons Swordless, 1:20:00) - 1:43AM
For those that have managed to stay awake to this point, there's still something special coming on after the Tetris: The Grand Master runs. It's time to once again pick up Link's sword and run through the all-time classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. And by that, of course, I mean he won't be picking up his sword, because this is a swordless run. This means Link will be dispatching his foes with arrows a-plenty, along with any other weapon at his disposal. It promises to be a fun time and an exciting way to end the Thursday runs.
Watch Summer Games Done Quick all week from the official Games Done Quick website or on Twitch.
Ozzie Mejia posted a new article, Summer Games Done Quick 2017: Day 5 Schedule and Games to Watch