I've been to like 7 or 8 E3's...things that I remember about them before the big change:
- The first 2 days were industry only...with industry very loosely defined.
- Anything important was done in those first 2 days.
- Most (not all) of those important things weren't really important and didn't really need to happen at E3.
- The 3rd day was open to the public. Some booths are closed by the 3rd day and some key personalities were usually gone by the 3rd day for a variety of reasons. All in all it was the same show though.
- Tons of networking happens on the show floor, via yelling, because it's too loud to even hear yourself.
- The weird stuff you never heard of was in Kentia Hall.
- The parties that happen at E3 were very exclusive...especially the main Sony Party because they usually had cool musical guests.
- Booth babes. Yea...that got out of hand.
- If you're a fan and you wanted to hang out with developers you didn't want to go to E3...all you had to do was go to the local strip clubs at night. Where else can you see Lord British getting a lap dance?