FEAR wasn't scary at all. The lame-ass scares of a girl moving around every now and then were.. well, laughable. On the other hand, if the Monolith fanboys would have taken the MonoLITH out of their asses and gave the Perseus Mandate expansion a try, they would have found it way better than the original game itself.
- Open, bigger (better) environments/levels.
- Way better and actually unexpected scares compared to the original.
- Some amazing destruction (walls and pillars) which I never noticed in the original (mainly because the AI was retardedly wasy to kill even before they used a grenade). The AI in PM uses grenades like hell to flush you out (and doesn't come out like a retard and fall to the 'corner' tricks) and you can see big chunks of walls getting blown around here and there. It's fun (I played it at hardest difficulty from start).
- AI is way better. Different types of enemies are thrown in at different situations (locations/environments) compared to the original when first you go replicas, then the invisible ones (which are the only scary enemies in original) for 2 freakin levels only then replicas all over again.. and then the lame ending.
- New weapons. Shitload of new awesome weapons compared to the originals boring real life versions.
The only problem with Perseus was that even though the maps were amazingly large and way different compared to Fear (btw, Origin levels look similar but with few updates to the graphics, obviously) they didn't or couldn't for some reason update the overall visual quality compared to the current standards.
Still, Mandate expansion is way more fun than the first game and I RECOMMEND that newbies ignore dumbass reviews and comments from fanboys and give it a try as well (while you wait for Origin, of course). PO looks like it's trying to copy a bit of Timeshift world.