This year's media briefings from Gamescom were packed with news items, perhaps more than any Gamescom in the past. The media briefings were also held during some less-than-friendly hours for North American consumers, so Shacknews is here to help recap what you might have missed from the big event in Cologne.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox One exclusive
Easily the most controversial news item of the show, so far. Crystal Dynamics took the stage to announce that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be exclusive to Xbox One, essentially leaving PC and PlayStation users out in the cold.
- Quantum Break gameplay debuted during Xbox Gamescom press conference
It was absent from E3, but Remedy Entertainment looked to make amends for that in front of a captive Gamescom audience. This marks the first instance of actual gameplay footage from the upcoming spiritual successor to Alan Wake.
- Halo Channel coming to Xbox One
- Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta begins on December 29
No shortage of Halo announcements this year, as 343 Industries not only revealed a dedicated Halo Channel, but also offered a three-week window for the Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Xbox One bundle coming in November
- White Xbox One bundle made official, packaged with Sunset Overdrive
With Xbox One getting more games, Microsoft logically brought forward bundles. While Sunset Overdrive offers a pristine white finish, the CoD bundle is notable for having a hefty 1TB hard drive, compared to the standard 500GB ones currently available.
- Assassin's Creed Unity trailer parkours across Paris
- FIFA 15 Xbox One bundle coming to Europe
- Fruit Ninja Kinect 2, Goat Simulator, Smite and the Escapist confirmed for Xbox One
- Evolve beta coming to Xbox One in January
- Fable Legends multiplayer beta begins October 16
- Frontier teams with Microsoft on new virtual park simulator for Xbox One
- Forza Horizon 2 trailer gets social with Rolls Royce
- Pre-order and pre-download system coming to Xbox One
- Killer Instinct: Season 2 begins on October 15
- Destiny's first expansion comes to PlayStation first in December
It's no secret that Sony is taking every advantage it can with its timed-exclusive Destiny content. That's also going to apply to Destiny's expansions, the first of which was announced today. Titled 'The Dark Below,' the expansion will hit in December.
- Tearaway Unfolded coming to PS4 in 2015
Media Molecule came armed with a big surprise in the form of a follow-up to their beloved 2013 Vita effort, Tearaway. The second game in the series, Tearaway Unfolded, will come to PS4 in 2015.
- Wild announced by Rayman creator Michel Ancel for PlayStation 4
The Sony presentation ended with a bang with Wild, a new IP from Rayman creator Michel Ancel. Players will be able to explore an expansive universe from the perspective of any character (human or otherwise) in this open-world adventure.
- PlayStation TV gets release date, special bundle
PlayStation TV looks like a dynamite deal with $100 granting users the ability to play PS1 and PS2 classics, select Vita games, and access to a growing number of apps. There's now a release date to get excited about, with PlayStation TV set to hit North America in October.
- LittleBigPlanet 3 shares a new trailer
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a murder mystery from former Bulletstorm devs
- Infamous: First Light trailer unleashes Fetch
- Alienation is the latest game from the makers of Resogun
- DriveClub speeds up with a new Gamescom trailer
- Bloodborne gameplay makes its debut at Gamescom
- Until Dawn re-emerges with new trailer
- New horror game PT announced for PS4
- The Tomorrow Children is the latest game from the Pixeljunk creators
- Metal Gear Solid 5 upgrades Snake's cardboard box
- Far Cry 4 invading Shangra-La
- Hellblade coming to PlayStation 4 from Ninja Theory
- HollowPoint coming to PS4 from Paradox
- DayZ coming to PlayStation 4
- Journey and Unfinished Swan coming to PlayStation 4
Of course, Gamescom is just beginning. For all the latest breaking stories, keep it on Shacknews.