The newfangled 'console wars' roll on, as February saw the PlayStation 4 narrowly hold off the Xbox One, in terms of most units sold for the month. But it comes with a bit of a caveat, as the Xbox One is actually leading the two in terms of overall money made, due to its higher price tag. The NPD Group has announced that console hardware sales have increased 60 percent over this time last year, which is largely attributed to Sony and Microsoft's new machines.
"PS4 led hardware sales in February 2014, but by a narrow margin with Xbox One selling over 90% of what the PS4 sold in terms of unit sales," stated the NPD Group's Liam Callahan. "However, with Xbox One's higher price point it led hardware sales on a dollar basis."
Physical software sales are also on the rise. In their first four months, the Xbox One and PS4 have sold 80 percent more games than the Xbox 360 and PS3 did in that same time span. As expected, these new software sales have begun digging into game sales from other major platforms.
As for specific software sales, Call of Duty: Ghosts continues to reign supreme atop the charts. Meanwhile, everything is awesome with The LEGO Movie Videogame debuting in second place, while Square Enix has a lot to celebrate, with Thief starting off at the #4 slot, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII debuting at #8, and Bravely Default breaking through for a #10 opening. A notable omission is Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. The NPD Group states that it was the fourth-highest selling SKU and did help push Wii U sales modestly, but did not rank in the top ten, due to the group's current ranking format.
- Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; new releases bolded)
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, NWU, PC)
- The LEGO Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, NWU, XBO, PS4, PSV)
- NBA 2K14 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
- Thief (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
- Battlefield 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, XBO, PS3, NWU, PC)
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
- Minecraft (360)
- Bravely Default (3DS)