All hands on deck. It's Late Night Computing for February 1, 2013.
Welp, that's all folks. The weekend is here, and I for one am glad. It's time to settle in and play some video games. What's on your list? I'll be playing Starcraft II until Dead Space 3 gets here early next week. That, and FTL: Faster Than Light, of course. Captain to the bridge!
- House of Cards, the first original series funded by Netflix, goes live with its pilot episode. Read about the political thriller as a primer before you indulge yourself this weekend. [via ArsTechnica]
- Who needs to watch the Super Bowl on your television when the Internet provides you just as many options? Here's the definitive guide for doing just that. [via Venturebeat]
- Interested in the future? Start reading every issue of The New York Times, like these two scientists are doing. [via Gigaom]
- Samsung gives Saul a call to help with them their Super Bowl commercial. [via Youtube]
- Are mobile quarterbacks more prone to injury than their pocket-passing counterparts? You might be surprised. [via Slate]
Chatty posts of the moment:
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "DMC is an early contender for 2013 game soundtrack of the year." [by mwasher]
- "When you have to name characters in games (not just coming up with an online handle for multiplayer), do you always come up with a new one, or do you have a list of favorites? Do you ever just use your name? I seem to rotate through a bunch, some of which I've used for years, dating back to Namingway in FF4US, some of which just pop into my head on the character screen." [by Omaha]
Heroes of Newerth client 3.0. for Windows, Mac, and Linux. "client version 188.8.131.52 for S2 Games' Heroes of Newerth, an RTS-RPG hybrid heavily inspired by the Warcraft III mod Defense of the Ancients. Now free to play." Download the client for Mac, Linux, or Windows.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 gameplay enhancements:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 shows off its gameplay enhancements in a new video.
BOOM video 14612