Monday is here, and even though it might be dark and gloomy out there for you East-coasters, take heart. Late Night Computing for October 29, 2012 is here.
Hello from the other side, Shackers. I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro on Friday evening, and spent the weekend getting used to the numerous changes. The Windows 8-style user interface doesn't bother me all that much, and I really like the integration of Xbox Music. My one complaint? Ads in pre-installed apps. Really, Microsoft? It might seem trivial, given that ads are everywhere on the Xbox 360 user interface even if you pay for a gold subscription, but something about this bothers me.
- Google offers a Crisis Map for the hurricane, soon to be superstorm, Sandy. Please take shelter if you need to. That's a lot of green. [via Google]
- Even after the cancellation of their press event, Google went ahead and released a ton of new information and prices for their new devices, including the Nexus 4, updated Nexus 7, and Nexus 10. [via Google Blog]
- Microsoft had a conference of their very own today, revealing Windows Phone 8 and the platforms features and devices. [via The Next Web]
- Palestine sees the rise of venture capitalism and its very own Silicon Valley in Ramallah. [via Blog Maverick]
- What would Geralt do? Gamasutra looks at CD Projekt Red's approach to decision making in The Witcher 2. [via Gamasutra]
Chatty posts of the moment.
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "MWO Closed Beta Vidyas. Two Videos from the last night of Closed Beta Fun:
- "You guys! Y'all need to play Hotline Miami. Also you could just start up a random level and just listen to it. I found a Walrus mask that makes me able to take two bullets to the chest! Also I threw a knife into a dude's face while he was chasing me with a golf club. I think this might even be a game dognose would like! I want to play it RIGHT NOW." [by Rauol Duke]
Castle in the Darkness Prologue 1.0. "Castle in the Darkness is a retro-styled exploration platformer in development by Matt Kap. It is inspired by games like Castlevania, Megaman, Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, I Wanna Be The Guy, Ys and a lot more! It's currently in development for PC and iOS (with a release on other platforms/devices not out of the question) for release in early 2013! Keep in mind that this is NOT part of the main game, it is a separate scenario just to show the game's aesthetics and mechanics. It is more of an action level than an exploration level. Also, the .zip file contains a .PDF instruction manual! Make sure you read it!" Download the free prologue for Windows.
Assassin's Creed III launch trailer:
Connor sets out to take his place in history as the Templars and Assassins wage war once more during the American Revolution in Assassin's Creed III.
BOOM video 14118
IO Interactive also releases the dynamic audio developer diary for Hitman: Absolution, Humans Must Answer debuts a new gameplay introduction trailer, NHL 13 celebrates the upcoming Halloween holiday, and Rayman Legends has a few new screenshots for your viewing pleasure.