Happy Windows 8, Shackers! So, who all upgraded today? Anyone? Read the latest Late Night Computing for October 26, 2012 even if you didn't.
It's upgrade time again, Shackers. Windows 8 landed on shelves today. Are you planning to upgrade? I've had some hesitation about the entire thing, given that Windows 7 works flawlessly for me, but really I just needed something to do this weekend and adapting to a new operating system seems like the thing to do. Oh, and the huge discount for pre-orders helped. If things should go awry, at least the weekend will give me some time to fix things before the sirens of the dreaded Monday morning call out.
- A look at how Disney attempt to re-create the 8-bit world of video games in Wreck-It Ralph, which is out in theatres on November 2, 2012. [via The New York Times]
- Is the console dead? Probably not. PC gaming is declared dead every other week, but it's still thriving. Mark Kern of Red 5 Studios, developer of the free-to-play Firefall, believes consoles may have reached a reckoning. [via Wired Game|Life]
- Assets continue to be sold off in auctions to repay debt from the failed 38 Studios. [via Yahoo! Plugged In]
- The National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration sets out to write rules for an antonmously driven society. This turn sponsored by McDonalds. [via Autoblog]
- Alton Brown of the Food Network wants to teach you how to make your very own Candy Corn for this upcoming Halloween. [via Food Network]
Chatty posts of the moment.
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "A Windows 8 thread for today. Okay, how about we all generate some questions / tips and tricks in this thread so that we can all get over this little learning curve as quickly as possible. Things I've discovered so far and current questions in reply." [by ateam311]
- "So after my initial confusion withe the save system, I think Borderlands 2 is quite fun. So much better than the first game. The loot system is grabbing me this time simply because of all the amazing guns. I've barely made it to Sanctuary and done a few side missions though (ie kill the assassins and the bullymong naming one), so there's no chance I'll finish it prior to Halo 4 coming out." [by Dave-A]
Far Cry 3 map and texture mod 1.0 for Minecraft. "What happens when Minecraft meets Far Cry 3 insane world? Get ready for a whole new gaming experience: explore and survive the Minecraft experience through the warped lens of Far Cry 3: all aspects of the original game, including environments, weapons and tools have been modified to reflect Far Cry 3. Discover key Far Cry 3 locations and characters, including Vaas, Jason and Citra, all completely redesigned in Minecraft style. Look for over 50 Easter Eggs, hidden throughout the map Islands." Download the mod for Minecraft here.
Need for Speed Most Wanted launch trailer:
"Criterion shows off the launch trailer for Need for Speed Most Wanted.."
BOOM video 14105