September 6, 2012. What kind of a day was that, you ask? Pretty boring if you ask me! Spice it up and read some entertaining news.
The Walking Dead episodes continue to impress me. After a somewhat infuriating run of deaths in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, I did eventually finish it, but I really needed a game that was more dialogue than action. And Telltale came through once again.
Try to stay away from spoilers as much as you can if you haven't played it. Otherwise, it will definitely lose some of its dramatic impact.
- Yesterday, Electronic Arts announced that they will no longer develop single-player only titles. Forbes contributor Paul Tassi takes issue with this, and discusses why he feels not every game needs to be social. [via Forbes]
- Amazon shows off its new Kindle products, including the Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Paperwhite, at a press conference today. Meet the new family! [via Amazon]
- Ever wonder about the technology behind Google Maps? Wonder no more, and get a look behind the scenes of Ground Truth. [via The Atlantic]
- NBC is reported to have broken even on it's coverage of the Olympics after advertising sales hit $1.25 billion. [via Bloomberg]
- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announces it will begin testing mobile networks and their data speeds. [via BGR]
Chatty posts of the moment.
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "Action roommate posted something interesting to me on his Facebook page. Paraphrasing, he recommended that people unsure of what to do with their lives look into computer programming as a career, stating that for every programmer in his area he estimates there are 2-4 jobs available.
So... programmers... Any suggestions on how to introduce a child to computer programming? Assume that the parent is not a programmer. What would be a first step down that path?" [by edgewise]
Underrail alpha demo 0.41. "Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. It's inspired by western RPG classics such as Fallout, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights and System Shock 2." Download the demo for Windows.
Dishonored Inception developer diary:
Join Arkane Studios for a behind the scenes look at the concepts and creativity behind the game in the first episode of a lengthy developer trailer series
BOOM video 13771
Also from the depths of the media section is a gameplay walkthrough from GamesCom 2012 for Remember Me, the first announcement trailer for Might & Magic Online, a pre-order trailer for Uprising44: The Silent Shadows, the Shifting Tides expansion trailer for Battle of the Immortals, an emergency public information broadcast trailer for Worms Revolution, the launch trailer for the Arctic Pack on Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online, and a first look at the Dinobots multiplayer DLC for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron in the screenshots section.