Mark the date, ladies. It's September 5, 2012, and Late Night Computing demands your attention.
Every time new content is added to one of the streaming services I subscribed to (disclosure: I use Netflix and Amazon Prime), I do a little happy dance. Much to my surprise, Netflix added Dinosaurs to its instant library this week, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been giggling like a little school girl every time the Baby shows his smug little face, probably more out of nostalgia than anything.
Now, if Amazon or Netflix would just add streaming access to Boy Meets World, I'd be a happy camper!
- Regenerating health is often a controversial topic, especially when it comes to PC gaming. If you think its mostly bologna, Gamasutra discusses why regenerating health "doesn't always make a better game." [via Gamasutra]
- Sweden ranks first in the Web Index rankings study by Tim Berners-Lee and the World Wide Web Foundation. Robbaz, King of Sweden, be praised. [via CNN]
- It's a mobile kind of day as Motorola and Nokia announce their fall devices, including new RAZR and Lumia units. Anticipate additional announcements from Apple and HTC, with their conferences coming soon. Get your first look at that sweet Windows 8 powered Lumia 920. [via The Verge]
- Curious as to the lack of video streaming options even as streaming becomes a mainstay on the Internet? Read this four page article that details the history of streaming legality. [via ArsTechnica]
- Lindsey Stirling and Peter Hollens present the Game of Thrones theme in...an interesting fashion. [via Youtube]
Chatty posts of the moment.
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "MECHWARRIORz!!!! Tomorrow is the last day to buy your founders pack and hop into the closed beta! Just $30 and if you like giant lumbering war machines throwing everything they've got at each other on the Crytek 3 engine then YOU NEED THIS! Trust me. It's well worth it folks." Sign up here. [by uebersoldat]
- "So I know we've had a lot of threads lately where people express how jaded they are with games and how they have no more time or motivation to play through their backlog, but isn't it a great feeling when you are able to get back into it after a long break? For the past few months I've also been pretty apathetic toward games but a few weeks ago a sudden wave of fanatical gaming zeal swept over me. Now all I can think about is getting home from work and parking my ass in front of my computer for six straight hours. It's always nice when you're able to break out of that rut and get a strong, reinvigorated interest in our favorite pastime and I can safely say I haven't had this level of fervor since I was a child. Guild Wars 2, Darksiders, Dark Souls, the list goes on. What are you guys playing at the moment?" [by The Grolar Bear]
Red Eclipse Galactic Edition 1.3.1 free game. "Red Eclipse is a free and open source game using SDL and OpenGL. It's a single-player and multi-player first-person ego-shooter, built as a total conversion of Cube Engine 2, which lends itself toward a balanced gameplay, completely at the control of map makers, while maintaining a general theme of agility in a variety of environments. The game consists of a variety of modes, which can be extended with any of twelve "mutators". For example, the 'Capture the Flag' mode can be used in conjunction with the 'Instagib' and 'Jetpack' mutators, changing how the game is played. This allows players to experience more flexibility and variety when playing the same mode. There are also seven mode-exclusive mutators, which can only be played in certain modes." Download the free game for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Far Cry 3 Survival Guide part 2 trailer:
Former CIA operative Huntley joins us again to help you deal with the psychopaths, drugs, and other dangers the lush jungle holds.
BOOM video 13759
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Rising Storm lands an extended GamesCom 2012 trailer, get a look at some rooftop gameplay for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing with a new trailer, Forza Motorsport 4 gets a trailer with fresh September downloadable content, the first look at the Of Orcs and Men soundtrack, and new screenshots for The Lord of the Rings: Riders of Rohan.