It's not every day a video game soundtrack impresses me. There are very few instances where I'll actually notice the music, really. But twice this year I've been surprised. The first being Mass Effect 3, with several instances where I immediately went to find the track responsible for making me take pause. The next? Spec Ops: The Line, amazingly. Narrative and gameplay flaws aside, Yager did a fine job selecting music for certain shootouts.
During one tense moment, as snipers began to decimate the cover around me, Mogwai's "Glasgow Mega-Snake" blared over my speakers to my rather surprised reaction. I dug my heels in and the music slowly faded as the firefight died down. I didn't expect it, but it certainly got my heart pumping.
(Click any editor's name to visit their Twitter page. Follow Shacknews on Twitter for regular updates.)
- Garnett Lee: I’m continuing to take advantage of the summer break in the release schedule for big games to catch up on my pile of shame. After finishing Assassin’s Creed 2 I’ve moved on to Metro 2033. On a pretty reasonable spec current gaming PC (core i5, 8GB RAM, GTX580), it looks impressive, and I admit to playing with the controller thanks to its excellent support for the 360 controller.
- Andrew Yoon: I’m traveling again this weekend, so no games for me (again!). I promise, I will play these “video game” things you guys are talking about one of these days.
- John Keefer: I finished the original BioShock late last week, and immediately jumped back into the original Mass Effect. Those games are still really good. I’m also still trying to work through Star Wars: The Old Republic, but my Inquisitor is only level 7. So many games to play.
- Alice O'Connor: Things, certainly, and perhaps some stuff.
- Jeff Mattas: I’m totally addicted to Comedy Central’s Indecision Game for iOS, and plan to spend some time with another recently-released iOS game, Great Big War Game. I also started another playthrough of Red Dead Redemption, which I’m happy to report doesn’t seem to have lost any of its fun-factor.
- Steve Watts: I'm still pressing through a few lengthy RPGs, and probably getting into Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes once my rental arrives. Looking forward to busting up blocks with an adorable little Superman.
- Ozzie Mejia: My efforts to convert my non-gamer girlfriend to our side are proving successful. So after we celebrate her birthday, we'll probably look to finish Portal 2's co-op campaign, after which her brainwashing will be complete. One of us! One of us! One of us!
- Tyler J. Smith: I'm wedged between games at the moment. After finishing Spec Ops: The Line on FUBAR difficulty this weekend, I'll be going to see The Dark Knight Rises of course. What next? One of the many, many new additions to my stupid digital library. Bulletstorm is looking like a good candidate for some mid-summer dickery.