advertisement

Beyond Good & Evil 2 in 'active creation'

by Alice O'Connor, May 10, 2012 6:45am PDT

It's always nice to have a reminder that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is actually still coming. Ubisoft has never said it's been cancelled, mind, but is so quiet that we always feel a little concerned. Splendid news, then, that creator Michel Ancel has again piped up again to say yes, it is being worked on.

"We are in an active creation stage and at this moment we are only focusing on the game and making it the best game that we can," Ancel said in a French video interview, translated by NeoGAF forum poster 'Corto' and vaguely corroborated by my shaky grasp of the language.

Platforms haven't been settled yet, as Ancel says it "would just distract us," but he noted "it's a very ambitious game and we need some tech to achieve that ambition." Ancel did say last year that BGE2 is likely to require next-gen hardware.

When the interviewer drew comparisons between the concept video leaked in 2009, below, and DICE's Mirror's Edge, Ancel denied it had been an influence.

We had this concept even before Mirror's Edge launched. And we have a different approach to the first person perspective that Mirror's Edge has. Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed are closer to what we have in mind with the control of the character in a third person perspective. We use a very dynamic camera that shakes a lot during the action to add life to the camera giving the impression of an action news cover team following Jade. Maybe that could be similar to Mirror's Edge but the game itself is very different.

See! More things about Beyond Good & Evil 2! Doesn't it warm the cockles of your heart? What's more, a single supposed in-engine screenshot has been picked up by All Games Beta, though there's no indication of when, or which stage of development, this is meant to be from. Now let's all watch that concept video again, as we do all so like to do every now and then.





Comments

See All Comments | 1 Thread | 7 Comments