Facebook has had some memorable social games, especially those associated with Zynga such as FarmVille. But when it comes to high-end games, the social networking site has usually left core gamers used to a PC or console experience wanting.
Its 1.0 beta will allow users in the listed areas to try a demo of these games for free:
- Saints Row: The Third (USA)
- Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (USA)
- Magicka (USA & Europe)
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior (USA & Europe)
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (USA & Europe)
- Orcs Must Die! (USA & Europe)
- Farming Simulator 2011 (USA & Europe)
"Gaikai's streaming technology allows players to sample games before they buy them and gives publishers a new way to build anticipation, increase sales reach and significantly reduce player acquisition costs," the release said.
Gaikai had already shown off World of Warcraft through Facebook in January. If this takes off and more publishers use the tech through Facebook, it will be interesting to see figures of sales based on sampling them through Facebook first.