[UPDATE: We've since received clarification from Microsoft that Kinectimals for Windows Phone will, in fact, support some camera integration. Players will be able to place their pet on the background of their choice by selecting an image from their phone's photo library. -Ed]
One of the cuddlier announcements to come out of Gamescom 2011 today was that the Kinectimals series will be coming to Windows Phone. Like the Kinect original, the game will allow players to virtually interact with cuddly cats... and bears!
This fall, players won't have to be confined to their living rooms in order to have fun with their imaginary friends. Leaderboards and Achievements for the game will also be integrated into Xbox Live. However, don't expect any augment reality antics. The Windows Phone version of Kinectimals will use touch-screen controls, and won't use phone cameras in any way.
In addition to Kinectimals, Microsoft announced the following additions to Windows Phone:
Chickens Can't Fly
- "Join the ranks of our scientists and see what chickens are capable of! Conduct experiments throughout four Laboratories and when you're confident of your skill, try the Survival mode or take part in the Global Weekly Challenge. Similar to unlocking Achievements, players will be able to unlock Avatar items. These items will automatically appear in their Avatar Closet and can then be worn to show off their gaming accomplishments."
Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp
- "Wage war on a tiny scale in 'Toy Soldiers Boot Camp' which brings the fun and addictive shooting gallery mini-games from 'Toy Soldiers: Cold War' to your Windows Phone. Additionally, earn bragging rights in 'Cold War' on Xbox 360 through an integrated mobile leaderboard."
Beards & Beaks: Cave Area
- "Gnome Town, an idyllic place of gnome mellow... suddenly overrun with murders of crows so audacious that even Hitchcock would take refuge behind a toadstool. Who knew the two could get so down and dirty in a turf war that knows no bounds? Fifteen challenging new levels lie ahead in the 'Cave Area' Add-on Content. A new gnome ally and enemies await."
- "This is Bug Village – a tiny town where you build and nurture a colony of active ants and busy bees! Construct homes to attract playful bugs and direct them to the garden, where they can gather resources to expand your village. Feed your bugs to keep them energized and healthy. Add cute decorations and flowers to make the colony buzz with excitement! Small is beautiful in 'Bug Village'!"
- "The diabolical minds at GameHouse, creators of Bounce Out and Collapse, bring you a more cerebral challenge: You've got two minutes and thirty seconds to make as many words as possible with either six or seven random letters. Figure out the combination with the most letters and move to the next level. A classic word scramble for a digital world. Take a break and exercise your brain all at once!"