Microsoft's Xbox 360 had its "best month ever" in December 2010, with the console being the "only system to enjoy a year-over-year increase in unit sales over 2009." The Nintendo DS was the best selling hardware for the month.
Kinect was also a strong item, being named the best selling accessory for the second month in a row. Kinect Sports and Dance Central also struck big, both reaching the top ten titles for the month for software on a SKU basis--but not on the NPD's new combined platform listing.
PC sales were up 62% during the month, led by the strong sales of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. According to NPD, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and the latest World of Warcraft expansion represented "14% of total PC game" physical unit sales for the year.
Top Ten U.S. Retail Titles (All Platforms) - Reporting period 11/28/10 - 01/01/11
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (X360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS)
- Just Dance 2 (Wii)
- World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (PC)
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (X360, PS3)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
- Disney Epic Mickey (Wii)
- Madden NFL 11 (X360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
- Michael Jackson: The Experience (Wii, NDS, PSP)
- NBA 2K11 (X360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
Note: The NPD Group no longer lists software as individual platforms. Sales for all platforms will now be combined when listed in the "Top Ten" and no figures will be released to the public from the NPD Group. Listing counts new physical retail sales only.)