LoL scooped awards in categories from 'Best Online Game Design' to 'Best Online Technology.' Other winners included EVE Online for 'Best Live Game,' MMO juggernaut World of Warcraft for its customer service and NCSoft's Aion for sound.
Except for the Audience Award, which was decided by members of games industry website Gamasutra, the winners were chosen by a 400-strong body of online games industry professionals. The list of winners follows below.
- Best Online Game Design - League of Legends (Riot Games)
- Best Online Visual Arts - League of Legends (Riot Games)
- Best Community Relations - World of WarCraft (Blizzard)
- Best Online Technology - League of Legends (Riot Games)
- Best Social Network Game - Social City (Playdom)
- Best Audio for an Online Game - Aion (NCSoft)
- Best New Online Game - League of Legends (Riot Games)
- Best Live Game - EVE Online (CCP)
- Audience Award - League of Legends (Riot Games)
As was revealed when the nominations were announced, Ultima Online was inducted into the GDC Online Awards Hall of Fame while Richard Bartle, co-writer of MUD (the original one) and MMO theorist, was awarded the Online Game Legend Award.