Referred to as both a "sequel" and "expansion pack" by 1C Company in today's announcement, Assault Squad brings a new cooperative skirmish mode to the series along with the ability to play as Japan, "increased realism and accessibility" said to deliver "an intense new WW2 spectacle with almost limitless replayability."
In all, players will be able to take control of five different national armies, specifically those of Russia, Germany, USA, Commonwealth, and Japan, with players able to "maneuver units using the directional keys, rather than pointing and clicking."
For a taste of the strategy series, hit up FileShack for demos of both Men of War and its first standalone expansion-sequel Men of War: Red Tide. For more on Assault Squad, simply read on--you'll find 1C's breakdown of the expansion just below:
What makes the new skirmish game mode so unique?
- New multiplayer maps and game settings
- Improved multiplayer balancing to provide a more authentic use of equipment and vehicles
- Overhauled infantry squads and the ability to buy individual soldiers to suit players' needs
- More realistic weapon behavior and penetration values
- A reworked artillery system that provides innovative assault and defense strategies
- New types of ammunition that increase the depth of tank combat