Update 2: Steam has once again updated its listing, now stating that a digital download of BioShock 2 sports a "5 machine activation limit," though maker 2K states "we are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2," adding that you won't need an internet connection to save single-player progress.
Update 3: Concluding DRMGate 2010, Steam has entirely removed the activation limit from its listing, while 2K's Elizabeth Tobey clarifies: "The Games for Windows Live key you get has 15 activations on it. If you reach 16, contacting Microsoft will get the key reset."
Original: The PC system requirements for BioShock 2 have been revealed by Steam, which also offers discounts and pre-order bonuses for the subaqueous sequel.
While BioShock 2 shares BioShock's use of SecuROM DRM,
there's no indication that the sequel follows its decision to limit the number of installations. This proved a thorny issue for BioShock and the limit was quickly increased then ultimately removed.
Developed by 2K Marin and 2K Australia with multiplayer by Dark Sector developer Digital Extremes, BioShock 2 arrives for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on February 9, with a very impressive Special Edition on offer. Work on BioShock 2 downloadable content is already underway, with 2K Marin describing its plans as "pretty aggressive."
- Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz or better, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz Processor or better
- Memory: 2GB
- Graphics: NVIDIA 7800GT 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon X1900 256MB graphics card or better
- Hard Drive: 11GB
- Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card or onboard sound
- OS: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
- DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
- Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
- Memory: 3GB
- Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD4830 512MB graphics card or better
- Initial installation requires one-time internet connection.
- Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE.
- Software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.