"Information and user feedback gathered from this Open Beta should help us getting the Campaign Multiplayer mode ready to be a regular feature in upcoming titles in the Total War series," creative director Mike Simpson noted previously.
A rundown of the open beta's features, as compiled by the developer, follow:
Empire multiplayer campaign beta features:
- Play on the entire Empire campaign map (All 3 theatres) against another player.
- Fight against far improved AI nations, overhauled by update 1.5.
- Work together or in competition to dominate the entire Empire campaign map.
- Play via LAN or the Internet through Steam.
- Engage in diplomacy with AI factions and another player.
- Betray or cooperate with a friend or enemy, the choice is yours.
- Fight real-time battles against the AI together, or have a friend take the AI's place in battle for the ultimate tactical challenge!