The update brings a new "head" slot into the Loadout menu, and introduces a Backpack that has slots for up to 50 different items.
Last year, Valve began updating each class with three unlockable items, with the Sniper receiving new equipment next. The Backpack and head slot certainly suggest more items are on the way for everyone, as 3 items for 9 classes only accounts for 27 items.
"We've got another update in the works that should be done before the Sniper, and that one will include some new content for all classes," Valve said in early April.
"We're also going to be looking at ways that players can get items other than achievement unlocking," TF2 director Robin Walker told Shacknews last year.
Curiously, the patch also brings the ability to delete items from the Backpack, with the warning that a deleted item "can never be re-earned." The changelog follows:
- Game Changes
- Reworked the character loadout screens to support future features
- Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned
- Added the ability for players to reset their player stats using the Reset Stats button on the Stats menu. This does not reset achievements
- Added a "player_teleported" game event that is sent when a player is teleported
- Updated cp_junction_final to score per-capture instead of per-round. This fixes the map not working correctly with Tournament mode and the stopwatch
- Scouts now drop the flag if they're carrying it when they start phasing
- Fixed instances where Steam connection problems would cause some unlocked items to be unusable
- Fixed the custom crosshair menu not clearing itself when "None" is selected for non-English clients
- Fixed warning about not being able to execute skill1.cfg when starting the dedicated server