Rentrak records its data from both online and brick-and-mortar rental shops on a weekly basis.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Halo 3 rounded out the top three, while Fallout 3 squeezed into eight position despite its late third quarter release.
Rentrak points out that the Xbox 360's overall rental market share increased from 26.1% to 36.8% in 2008, while Wii game rentals jumped from 7.3% in 2007 to 17.1% in 2008. Seven of the top-ten 2008 titles were rated Mature, compared to four in 2007.
The full list of 2008's most rented games follows:
- Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360)
- Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Xbox 360)
- Army of Two (Xbox 360)
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
- Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
- Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360)
- Mario Party 8 (Wii)