Realtime Worlds Still In Talks With Microsoft About Crackdown Sequel

By Maarten Goldstein, Dec 22, 2008 7:53am PST

Though currently at work on the MMO APB, Realtime Worlds is still engaged in talks with Microsoft about a possible Crackdown sequel, according to videogaming247.

It was reported last week that Ruffian Games, a new studio founded by several former Realtime Worlds employees, might get the opportunity to develop Crackdown 2. Though the original was developed by Realtime Worlds, the property is owned by Microsoft.

In a statement, Realtime Worlds studio manager Colin MacDonald noted that the company is in "ongoing discussions" with Microsoft, though no offer has been extended. Should a Crackdown sequel be awarded to another company, MacDonald said Realtime Worlds founder Dave Jones would "be gutted not to be involved, but if it had to be that way, I would want to see it done justice -- by an established, renowned developer that had the track record of delivering the quality gaming experience Crackdown players would demand."

Ruffian Games would not be that kind of developer. "I also very much doubt that Microsoft would harm an otherwise fruitful existing development relationship by gambling on funding Crackdown 2 with a startup on RTW's doorstep, for obvious reasons," said MacDonald.

MacDonald also mentioned about five or six people had left for Ruffian Games, with the majority of the original Crackdown team still at Realtime Worlds.

Click here to comment...

advertisement

Comments

See All Comments | 8 Threads | 21 Comments