Given this new information, we can now add Nintendo DS to the Shacknews-compiled list of known United States and worldwide hardware figures.
Lifetime United States Hardware Sales as of May 14, 2008:
- PlayStation 2 - 42 million (Sony PR)
- Nintendo DS - 19.6 million units
- PSP - 11.42 million
- Xbox 360 - 10 million units
- Wii - 9.5 million units
- PlayStation 3 - 4.15 million units
- Nintendo DS - 70.6 million units
- Wii - 24.45 million units
- Xbox 360 - 19 million units
- PlayStation 3 - 12.85 million units
- PlayStation 2 - Not provided in latest Sony financial results
- PSP - Not provided in latest Sony financial results
A Note on Worldwide Sales
Sony's 2007 fiscal year marked the first time the company listed worldwide sales data instead of shipment figures, making it difficult to ascertain how many PlayStation 2 and PSP units have been sold worldwide since those systems launched in 2000 and 2004, respectively.
That said, it was possible to calculate the total amount of PlayStation 3 units sold worlwide as the company compared its 2007 results to its 2006 fiscal year, during which the PlayStation 3 launched.