XCOM 2 from Firaxis Games was a brilliant sequel to a fantastic remake of a classic tactical strategy game. Now, the developer has taken the game even further with today's release of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, adding new enemies, allies and features to the popular game.
Revealed at E3 this year, War of the Chosen adds three new enemies to ADVENT, while Earth's resistance forces get three new factions, with a hero unit for each group.
The new ADVENT units, called the Chosen, are:
- The Hunter: Stalks its prey from across the map: tracking, wounding and disabling XCOM units at range.
- The Warlock: Utilizes a variety of psionic abilities to sow destruction on the battlefield.
- The Assassin: S stealth-based melee unit that prefers to fight at close range, preying upon XCOM units with her katana.
As for the new resistance groups and units:
- The Reapers: Infiltration specialists and stealth marksmen living on the fringe of society. Reapers utilize a powerful weapon called the Vektor rifle, as well as a special Claymore explosive, a targetable incendiary device that, when placed and activated, does not cause the Reaper to break concealment.
- The Skirmishers: Former ADVENT soldiers who have chosen to rebel against their masters. The Skirmisher is an offensive powerhouse, capable of dealing with threats running the gamut from up close to afar, armed with a grappling hook to help close distance and a wrist mounted Ripjack capable of piercing the enemy with deadly force.
- The Templars: A reclusive, monastic group of soldiers that have dedicated themselves to pushing their minds and bodies with psionic energy to the brink of humanity, honing their psionic energy with religious fervor into powerful weapons.
The game also adds new aliens such as the Spectre and the Lost, new environments and mission objectives, new layers of strategy, a new challenge mode and greater customization options.
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is out now Steam for PC for $39.99, and will be out on Xbox One and PS4 on September 12.