A key to Overwatch's success is the regular addition of content and constant balancing updates to the experience. Their upcoming update continues that trend, but will also be changing a couple of their characters in a big way. Now available in the Public Test Region (PTR), Blizzard is testing out a Mercy rebuild with no team resurrect and a more involved build for D.Va.
The official PlayOverwatch YouTube channel shared a hero balance update and it is already creating a bit of a buzz across social media. The changes to D.Va are impactful and will make play a bit more exciting for those that use the character regularly, but the changes being made to Mercy are monumental. Game director Jeff Kaplan says in the video that the development team wasn't a fan of some of the play styles that have grown from the use of Mercy's ult, which resurrects nearby heroes.
Game director Jeff Kaplan says, in the video below, that the development team wasn't a fan of some of the play styles that have grown from the use of Mercy's ult, which resurrects nearby heroes. Now her resurrect is relegated to a special ability operating on a 30-second cooldown and is for one character at a time. Her new ultimate ability changes her into an extremely mobile healing force with the freedom of flight. Full details on the changes coming to the different characters are below:
- Micro Missiles (New Ability)
- D.Va fires a barrage of small rockets that detonate on impact, dealing damage in a limited radius around each explosion. These can be fired while D.Va is using any other ability or firing her Fusion Cannons
- Defense Matrix
- Defense Matrix's resource meter will now deplete twice as quickly
- Fusion Cannons can now be fired while flying
- Resurrect (Now a cooldown ability)
- Ability now targets a single player, instead of every player within a radius
- Radius reduced to 5 meters
- Ability cooldown is 30 seconds
- Mercy is no longer granted invulnerability while Resurrect is active
- Valkyria (New Ultimate Ability)
- Valkyrie unleashes the full power of Mercy’s Valkyrie Suit, enhancing her weapons and abilities for 20 seconds:
- Caduceus Staff: Mercy’s healing and damage boost beams now affect all allies near the targeted teammate, and the staff’s effective range has been extended
- Caduceus Blaster: Granted infinite ammo, while simultaneously increasing damage and fire rate
- Guardian Angel: Increased range and movement speed
- Resurrect: Cooldown is instantly reset when Valkyrie is activated and reduced to 10s after the initial cast
- Hover: Mercy gains the ability to fly freely, at increased movement speed
- Regeneration (Passive): No longer interrupted when Mercy takes damage
- Barrier Field
- Holding primary fire while your shield is active now allows you to rotate the camera
There's an additional collection of changes happening that involve the UI, bugs, and matches and you find more information on the Overwatch blog. Is Mercy one of your mains? How do you feel about this huge change to her character? With the recently released short and a new map reveal, it has certainly been an exciting few days for Overwatch fans.